tomdroid-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Compiler Defaults

Android uses Java 1.5 not Java 1.6.  I'd strongly suggest keeping
compatibility at java 1.5.  You would risk using a feature that is not
supported on Android.

Offtopic: Android uses the Java 1.5 class libraries from the Apache
Harmony JVM.  Apache Harmony never implemented Java 1.6 largely
because Sun wouldn't license TCK to them under reasonable terms.  This
is part of the reason why there is no Java 1.7 right now .. Java 1.7
is probably 12 months late.  Most of the other JCP members are
(probably) refusing to support a Java 1.7 until Sun (now Oracle)
resolves this issue.