tomdroid-dev team mailing list archive

Re: tomdroid's storage-redesign && what do we want to keep in the database as a note?

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Olivier Bilodeau
<olivier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > 1- store the whole note instead of just note-content in the database
>> > This way we won't lose addins metatags, full note encryption support
>> > will be
>> > possible, etc. Also, parsing the few lines of metadata on each load
>> > won't be
>> > that big of a penalty since its the note's content that is always the
>> > biggest.
>>
>> I'd be in favor of this solution, provided we do not find any blocker.
>> Xml is a complex beast and I'd sleep better at night knowing someone
>> knowledgeable about the format handles the decoding for us.
>

> I was thinking about it this morning. I have a new question: what do you get
> when you ask for a note using Tomboy's REST API? Do you ask for metadata and
> note-content separately or is it all together?

It's one request to get a JSON object containing the metadata in
various fields and the note content as xml in another field, like the
example at http://live.gnome.org/Tomboy/Synchronization/REST#line-78

The note-content field is exactly what's between the note-content tags
in a xml note, this was why I decided to put it as-is in the database.