tomdroid-dev team mailing list archive

Re: [Snowy] a note's last-change-date

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 1:09 AM, Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 22:22 -0800, Sandy Armstrong wrote:
>

>> If there is a better "universal" datetime format (for example, just
>> using Zulu), then let's figure that out and we can update the REST API
>> spec to be a little more specific about what datetime formats it
>> accepts and what format it returns.  Fixing Snowy would be easy here;
>> I can't speak for the U1 guys, I guess it depends on how they store
>> the dates.
>>
> We store them this way: "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S"
>
> so I guess we are missing the timezone information

Yeah, that's a problem in my opinion.  I certainly make notes in
different time zones when I travel, for one thing.  And as Snowy and
U1 evolve and users are sharing notes, time zone information will be
even more important.  It seems that the best thing to do would be
using UTC timestamps.

So, folks, should we say that for the REST API, the standard date
format will be the combined UTC form of ISO 8601?  For example:

2010-01-28T18:30Z

If we're all agreed, I think we can come up with some guidelines, such as:
* Servers that wish to continue supporting Tomboy 1.0 will need to
support its somewhat non-standard format as an acceptable input (I
could make another 1.0.x release but most distros wouldn't push it to
their users so late)
* All servers should switch to the combined UTC ISO 8601 format for
output, since all clients can easily deal with that format

If this sounds good, I'll update Tomboy and Snowy (before 1.2.0) to
send dates in the new format, and we can update the REST API page.

Sandy