tomdroid-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Introducing myself

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 6:01 AM, bacatta <bacatta@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My name is Alexandre Lima, I am a 29 years old French boy. I got some
> Object Oriented programming skills but my last project is 7 years old.
> I got a Samsung Galaxy (i7500) with Android 1.5.
> I am interested in tomdroid and I want to help, especially the web-sync
> branch, because I think tomdroid is useless without it !
>
> PS: I'm not used to launchpad bugs too ;)

Hi Alexandre,

Welcome aboard!

If you are interested in working on the web-sync branch, I would suggest
that you branch of it and try to integrate it with the trunk series. Here's
the story:

Benoit did the database redesign, then he went on and created the web-sync
on top of it (in a separate branch). I merged his database work for 0.3 but
made *a lot* of changes to it. This means that web-sync specific changes
would need to be re-based on top of 0.3.1.

It could be just a matter of doing a bzr merge with trunk, fixing the
conflicts and making sure nothing broke.

Once we have a branch that diffs cleanly with trunk/, it would be a matter
of making patches that I can handle with my tiny and code-quality obsessed
brain. We could do that iterative improvement with a merge proposal using
launchpad.

For now, I won't be working on web-sync. I'm focused on note editing so your
efforts won't be duplicated by me. In fact, they would be welcomed since
Benoit told me he's quite busy lately and so unable to work on the web-sync
branch.

To get started (from memory, I might be wrong):
bzr branch lp:~benoit.garret/tomdroid/web-sync
cd web-sync
code!
bzr push lp:~<youruser>/tomdroid/web-sync

Then your stuff will be ready to share with the world (on
https://code.launchpad.net/tomdroid) and we can check it and give you
feedback.

Do not hesitate to ask questions here or directly to me!

Thanks for your interest!
As a side note, this project is attracting a lot of people from France, I
wonder why is that? Maybe my french-styled english? :)
--
Olivier Bilodeau <olivier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>