Re: feedback for ToriOS-i386-beta2.iso

Hi Israel,
[inline]

Den 2015-02-24 21:59, Israel skrev:
> On 02/24/2015 02:31 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Hi Nio
> (inlines)

>> I think the advice about swap = twice the RAM is deprecated nowadays. I
>> described it in an earlier mail. If you change it, it is very important
>> to suggest the same size or larger in Mibibytes for hibernation. But if
>> you want to keep it at twice the RAM - OK, there are many old
>> recommendations about that. Maybe it helps when the computer has very
>> low RAM, but such cases should be covered by recommending minimum swap =
>> 512 Mibybytes.
> I only do twice the RAM for suspending purposes... otherwise it defaults
> to the same size of RAM, unless it is under 512... then it defaults to 512.
> If it is over 2 Gig I suggest RAM/2 as the swap size.
> 2 Gig is more ram than the entire installed os needs.. I suppose you
> could run the OS in RAM, which would be amazing :)  It is already so fast.
>
> I agree that it is deprecated, and actually not useful to Linux....
> maybe in Windows it would help?  But swap is called something else..
> Virtual Memory IIRC

Swap is still useful (I meant that the advice 'twice * RAM' is
deprecated). You need a smaller proportion of swap compared to RAM than
before, probably because it is managed better. But the speed penalty is
probably worse than ever, because the speed of RAM increases faster than
the speed of HDDs. It is better with SSDs.

According to this link

http://askubuntu.com/questions/3369/what-is-the-difference-between-hibernate-and-suspend
-----
Suspend does not turn off your computer. It puts the computer and all
peripherals on a low power consumption mode. If the battery runs out or
the computer turns off for some reason, the current session and unsaved
changes will be lost.

Hibernate saves the state of your computer to the hard disk and
completely powers off. When resuming, the saved state is restored to RAM.
-----
So the swap size is important to hibernate, not to suspend.

>> I might upload a separate tarball for you and other people to test. I'm
>> thinking of various things to test, right now mainly the OEM feature.
>> But that is another thing, and should be discussed later.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Nio
> I agree this OEM feature will be great!!  I would like it to work on
> vanilla ToriOS.  I think some of the newer fixes I have may make it work
> right... we shall see.  I am going to tar the base OS again and then I
> will play around.  I can always OBI back to what I have if need be :)
> Such a nice recovery feature for testing!!  It takes longer to boot &
> reboot than to install the OS on this old dumpster rescue machine :)

:-)