Persistence (Was :Re: [Torios] ToriOS (beta) tarball with 3 kernels)

On 03/29/2015 12:31 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Hi Israel,
>
> I don't think you replied to this mail. Did you get it? What do you
> think about recommending a persistent live system for this purpose?
>
> I really think persistence is the best solution [for the current ToriOS
> iso file based live system], when people want to download tarballs, and
> there is not enough RAM, and/or they want to keep what is downloaded,
> installed or changed in live mode:
Hi Nio,
I am not sure, all these e-mails have the same title, so I may have
missed it.
Did you get my e-mail about dltbl?  I am not sure you replied to that
one yet either.
>> I think a persistent live system provides the simplest and also the
>> most flexible solution. It will automatically increase the drive
>> space, which is limited by low RAM, and at the same time make the
>> stored data (in this case tarballs) survive rebooting and poweroff.
> -o-
>
> Most computers, even twelve year old computers (made 2003), can boot
> from USB. For these computers a good alternative is to make an installed
> system with the OBI-installer in ToriOS and create a compressed image
> file of it,
>
> ToriOS-xxx.img.xz
>
> Such a system is easily installed with mkusb in linux and with Win32
> Disk Imager in Windows
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Win32DiskImager/iso2usb
>
> The ToriOS compressed image file would correspond to my standard One
> Button Installer, which comes installed in Lubuntu Trusty when you download
>
> http://phillw.net/isos/one-button-installer/dd_images/dd_blank-obi_7.8GB_27_LubuntuTrusty.img.xz
>
> The obvious and simple alternative is to provide ToriOS tarballs to be
> used by the standard One Button Installer. I can prepare and update such
> tarballs, but please consider a ToriOS-xxx.img.xz file.
>
> Best regards
> Nio
Many of my computers do not boot from USB, some I can shim with GRUB but
setting the root to the USB drive, and manually setting the linux and
initrd files before booting.
I wouldn't think an img file is as compressed as an xz file.

Are you suggesting that we host an img file as well as building the ISO
with an xz in it?
I do think persistence would be very nice for being able to download
tarballs.  But couldn't we also do something similar to what I suggested
in the dltbl e-mail of offereing to save to an external USB, or a
separate USB partition, etc...  perhaps mkusb could even add a partition
for the remaining freespace?

Either way, I trust your opinions very much and value them.  I do want
to make things easy for our users, and if an img file would make it
easier, then I agree that we should have one.  If it will make the ISO
too big then we will need to host it separately.

Will windows disk imager be able to make an ext partition for ToriOS?

-Israel
ToriOS Team