Re: [Torios] ToriOS (beta) tarball with 3 kernels

Den 2015-03-28 06:38, Nio Wiklund skrev:
> [...]
> There are several problems with ToriOS,
>

> 1 - the file system, ISO-9660, is read-only
>
> This is a problem in CDs and DVDs, and in pendrives, if installed with
> mkusb. If it works with ToriOS to set up the live system with
> persistence, then data will survive reboots, and the amount that can be
> stored depends on the size of the storage.
>

> 2 - the size of the CD
>
> This is a well known and severe limit for what can come with the iso
> file. One alternative is to have a small CD sized iso file like it is
> now with a non-pae kernel, and a bigger DVD sized iso file with more
> than one tarball.
>
> Examples: 3 tarballs targeting different kinds of computers, or a big
> tarball with a lot of installed program packages. Some distros provide
> solutions with big DVD sized installation media.
>

> 3 - the target computers have low RAM
>
> As it works now, it is possible to download a tarball into RAM, but
> there might not be enough RAM to store it.
>
> *. So it would be a solution to use a third drive:
>
> a. the installer (the live drive)
> b. the target drive (where to install ToriOS)
> c. a storage drive (could be a flash drive or HDD, external or internal,
> any writable mass storage device).
>
> We could to add an option for dltbl to specify the path to where the
> tarball should be downloaded. It would be possible with a dialog screen
> for it.
> ___________________________
>
> Persistent live system
> ___________________________
>
> I think a persistent live system provides the simplest and also the most
> flexible solution. It will automatically increase the drive space, which
> is limited by low RAM, and at the same time make the stored data (in
> this case tarballs) survive rebooting and poweroff.
>

> A. Create a 'live-rw' partition in a storage drive
>
> 1. Use gparted and create a linux partition, for example with the ext2
> file system, which is simple and does not wear a pendrive with journaling.
>
> 2. Set the label 'live-rw' for the partition. (This is debian style and
> different from Ubuntu systems, where the label should be 'casper-rw'.)
>
> 3. Apply the changes by clicking the green tick.
>

> B. Boot with the option 'persistent'
>
> 1. At boot, press the TAB key to get to the boot command line
>
> 2. Add a space and the word 'persistent'
>
>> /live/vmlinuz initrd=/live/initrd.lz boot=live persistent
>
> 3. Press the Enter key
>
> and the ToriOS live system boots into a persistent live system.
>

> C. Keep the persistence healthy
>
> It is very important to wait while buffered data are written to the
> storage drive, particularly if it is a slow USB pendrive. Do not unplug
> the the storage drive before you are sure that the system is completely
> shut down!
>
> You can force writing the data with the command
>
> sync
>
> in a terminal window. Wait until the prompt returns!

Hi Israel,

I don't think you replied to this mail. Did you get it? What do you
think about recommending a persistent live system for this purpose?

I really think persistence is the best solution [for the current ToriOS
iso file based live system], when people want to download tarballs, and
there is not enough RAM, and/or they want to keep what is downloaded,
installed or changed in live mode:

> I think a persistent live system provides the simplest and also the
> most flexible solution. It will automatically increase the drive
> space, which is limited by low RAM, and at the same time make the
> stored data (in this case tarballs) survive rebooting and poweroff.

-o-

Most computers, even twelve year old computers (made 2003), can boot
from USB. For these computers a good alternative is to make an installed
system with the OBI-installer in ToriOS and create a compressed image
file of it,

ToriOS-xxx.img.xz

Such a system is easily installed with mkusb in linux and with Win32
Disk Imager in Windows

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Win32DiskImager/iso2usb

The ToriOS compressed image file would correspond to my standard One
Button Installer, which comes installed in Lubuntu Trusty when you download

http://phillw.net/isos/one-button-installer/dd_images/dd_blank-obi_7.8GB_27_LubuntuTrusty.img.xz

The obvious and simple alternative is to provide ToriOS tarballs to be
used by the standard One Button Installer. I can prepare and update such
tarballs, but please consider a ToriOS-xxx.img.xz file.