Re: Lubuntu Software Center, LSC

Hi Ali,
while you were busy, we did 'add' an alternative 'software center'.  It
is actually an apt protocol handler (this means that when you click on a
web link apt://lmms it will install lmms).  I also added a webpage link
to apps.ubuntu.com.
So it isn't exactly adding a new software center, it is really just
letting people install things from the browser (without needing 100kb
space for apturl or the behemoth ubuntu-software-center) it is only
about 15kb or so...

On 04/25/2015 04:31 AM, Ali Linx wrote:

> On 04/25/2015 06:38 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>> Hi Israel,
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to this project (ToriOS? what kind of name is that?) so slow
> down with me :P
>>
>> Would it be interesting to have LSC as an option in the installed system
>> (tarball) of ToriOS (without the database (~80 MB))? It might be
>> bug-fixed in such a way, that it will suit for this purpose - that the
>> database will be created the first time the program is run.
> Day by day, I find that ToriOS has gone a bit of track :)
>
> When ToriOS was started, the idea was to provide the extra minimal
> system ever!
>
> Also, I have showed my interest to stay away from Lubuntu as much as
> possible. I have personal reasons and I have logical general reasons
> to be super extra very honest :)
>
> A side from all the above, Terminal does exist + Synaptic does exist =
> why would we go for the 3rd alternative to install a package/software?
> that's way too much, if you ask me!
>
> While I am NOT a developer and while I had and still have my OWN
> real-life battle/war, that does not mean I am off when it comes to
> decide the best for ToriOS ;)
>
> No offense taken from my side and I hope nothing from your side,
> everyone but such decisions (add/remove) stuff should be either:
>
> Referred back to me and/or Israel
>
> Or
>
> We vote for :)
>
> Speaking from long experience, sometimes, voting is not really
> smart/good idea.
>
> That said, I'd call this case closed and stay away from a 3rd
> alternative to install any package :)
>
> However, I'd like to see what other things here ;)
> I hate to be a dictator :P
>
> Thank you, everyone!
>

>> See the following correspondence:
>>
>> Best regards
>> Nio
>> ___________________________________
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lubuntu-software-center/+bug/1446830
>>

>> Jörn Schönyan (joern-schoenyan) wrote on 2015-04-23:     #35
>>
>> Hi Nio,
>>
>> 1. it is way faster, really a big difference. USC was made a bit faster,
>> but it's still not comparable to LSC.
>> 2. I guess most Lubuntu users are using it, but alternate iso installs
>> are quite rare. And as the DB is regenerated from time to time, nobody
>> noticed that issue.
>> 3. It's working fine mostly and doesn't take much space, so I think we
>> should keep it. Remember, LSC was the thing how I came to Lubuntu ;-)
>>
>> @Walter: we could redesign it, yes. It could use Appstream data, like
>> the future Lubuntu/LXQt software center will. But it would be really a
>> lot of work and we don't have the manpower, I think. I think "Won't fix"
>> is the only solution in our position. Would only be worth the effort if
>> other flavours would like to adopt LSC - Ubuntu GNOME wants it, but only
>> as an interim solution. Xubuntu doesn't want it, so I think it will be
> [...]

-Israel
ToriOS Team