Re: [Torios] Icon issue

On 05/17/2015 10:30 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Den 2015-05-17 15:50, Israel skrev:
>> ..
> Hi Israel,
>
> Let us hope that these fixes solve the icon issues :-)
>
> Best regards
> Nio
Hi All,
after some heavy testing, these fixes do solve the issues of nearly
every program I have installed (not on my ToriOS machine, my programming
machine).

There are two exceptions:

1. ffado-mixer  but this does not have a real icon... I searched high
and low for an icon with the same name... i do not think it exists, so
this is a bug with their program
2. easystroke  this one stores the icon in an extremely non-standard way...
/usr/share/app-install/icons/easystroke.svg

The other hard icon was gdebi.... this is extremely lame, but they use a
MIME-type icon instead of something like 'gdebi'  very strange... but I
find it.

I also cause all icons in /usr/share/icons to have hardcoded paths.
Everything else is relative, since the paths already exist in the jwmrc
file.

Menu generation now takes far too long :(  But it fully checks
everything (except the odd app-install directory... that should be
fairly easy to implement if we find more than one app that installs
their icon only to that directory).

Apparently, most developers do not know (as I didn't previous to this
endeavour) you are 'supposed' to install at least 1 icon in
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps
That is the minimum requirement for an icon, but this does not happen,
because the documentation is sparse and hidden away deep in the
freedesktop documentation.

Anyhow... NOW I seriously need to redesign the menu generation process
to simply check for a few things when generating the menu.

Does the menu file exist already??
If not, make the entire menu.

If it does, then for every desktop entry, check:
   does this already exist?
  if not make it
  if so:
     does it have an icon, other than "application-default-icon${EXT}"?
         if so... skip it... we don't need to waste time here
         if not... see if the icon can be found

The possibility of another bug showing up is there once I do this... but
it needs to be done.
Once I do this our menu will generate faster.  I will try doing this
with a less complex menu first (the places menu)... that way we can have
at least a nice app menu... though updating/installing new programs will
be time consuming (the menu checks so thoroughly that it takes over a
minute on my Dual core... which is unacceptable for a release... but
will suffice for testing)

I will keep you all updated

-Israel
ToriOS Team