Re: Debian ISO

Den 2016-01-22 kl. 01:59, skrev Israel:
> Hi all,
> I would like to have you test this!
> @Nio,
> I know you might not have much time for this, so feel free to not test
> it, but it might be worth using OBI on Debian :)
> Here it is!
> MD5SUM (with the real ISO name, not the linked version below that will
> always be current to the latest)
> a32296c77082c72a3da6a0027bc701e9
> http://www.phillw.net/isos/torios/oldISO/ToriOS-2016-01-21-beta-jessie.iso
>
> http://www.phillw.net/isos/torios/ToriOS-Debian-daily.iso
> OR use zsync
> zsync http://www.phillw.net/isos/torios/ToriOS-Debian-daily.iso.zsync

Hi Israel and the other developers :-)

I have some time now for testing, first in my Toshiba with an Intel i5
processor and 4 GB RAM.

Live:

1. You forgot to treat the iso file with isohybrid, so I had to do that
in order to make it work when flashed with mkusb into a pendrive.

2. The information about the version according to

uname -a

is a little confusing (i586 or i686?). It does not handle more than 2 GB
RAM well, which indicates a non-pae kernel. I will check it in my IBM
Thinkpad with an Intel Pentium M later.

Installing:

1. At the basic OBI level: The window 'Select device - and continue' is
too small (should be wider to accomodate all the text)

2. For some reason the SSD drive connected via eSATA is shown twice in
this menu (minor bug but confusing).

3. There is no box to check in the 'Final warning' window. But you can
click on the text 'Check this box ...' - maybe it should be changed to
'Click on this line to get it checked, if you are ready to go'. I think
this is a zenity bug (or bad cooperation between zenity and jwm).

Installed system:

1. Apparmor init failed for me too.

2. A start job is running ... (waiting for 90 s: systemd problem?)

3. The tick boxes in ztweaks is missing, you have to click on the white
space where it is supposed to be in order to activate it. The same
zenity bug as before. In this case it does not work to click on the
text, so it is really confusing.

4. The colours of the prompt in the terminal window are not green and red.

5. The panel icon for audio is bad, or should I say, the app behind it
does not work correctly. I cannot open the mixer. I have to select
preferences and show slider, otherwise it is mute. 'Open mixer' just
flashes by - does not leave anything open.

6. The wired network works. I can use ssh. But I have to 'sudo ping'
(maybe this is a feature of debian, different from ubuntu).

Installing:

1. At the advanced OBI level: The checkbox is missing (the same zenity
bug as before).
IBM Thinkpad with an Intel Pentium M
2. I tried to install the PAE kernel this time. But
uname -a
and
free -m
seem to display the same as before. Are you sure that there is a
difference - that different kernels are installed?

3. I tried again and installed a third time, (to a third ext4
partition), making sure I installed the 'PAE kernel'. This time the
installed systems grub did not display the previous versions as lines in
the grub menu. But it worked to run

sudo update-grub

to get them.

Still the same result from uname -a and free -m, so I think it is the
same kernel all the time.

Pentium M:

*. The live system and the installed system work in the IBM Thinkpad
with an Intel Pentium M, and the the kernel is a non-pae kernel.

It seems that we get a non-pae kernel also when we select to install a
PAE kernel (in computers allowing it). So [I am almost 100% sure] this
is a bug.

-o-

There are some bugs, but considering the short time you have been
converting ToriOS to debian, I think you have done a very good job. Most
things work :-)