Re: First Quick Observations:RE: Debian ISO

Hey Jack,
OK a couple of things I have found/done.
Apparently I forgot alsa-utils for the Debian install.
the package names are kinds different in Debian sometimes (alsa-base and
alsa)
So, I must have accidentally removed it when I was trying to figure it
all out.
So, now volume should work... well in the next ISO.
You can install alsa-utils if you like.
If you do install from the terminal you will likely get error messages
when running sudo apt-get update.
This will be fixed in the next ISO.... errors due to the complexity of
adding a PPA to Debian, but I have since gotten it down well enough to
make things work reliably, so no worries it works fine in the not yet
released version.

firstrun (our initial boot into ToriOS startup script/dialog)
I have modified this fairly heavily to allow for installing
Firefox
Chrome
Seamonkey
Qupzilla
Midori
Chromium
Opera
in either Debian OR Ubuntu.

If you know Debian you know Firefox is not normally installable.  So
this will bring in a version from the same place we get seamonkey.
The unfortunate thing about this is those browsers (as it turns out) are
not localized at all... ONLY us English.
But the user can easily (hopefully) install any of those other browsers.

So Jack, if you could:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade && firstrun
This should pull up the new version with the first item being "Install a
web browser"
Please test these, if you would.
This is a first try on a fairly complicated script so hopefully I just
did everything right the first time and made no typoos.  Again,
installing some of those browsers is not as easy as it is in Ubuntu....
but some of them are equally hard :)

I am going to have to test some things to find out what is up with the
window positioning, and locale.... I am not entirely sure why it is not
doing what you specify.  As it is, that should work fine.... but I will
need to mess around with things.

But, for the first Alpha of the Debian based ToriOS, I'd say we are off
to an amazing start, compared to the Ubuntu version progression.