Re: New ISO

Den 2016-05-30 kl. 11:36, skrev Nio Wiklund:
Den 2016-05-30 kl. 11:14, skrev Nio Wiklund:
Den 2016-05-29 kl. 21:19, skrev Israel:
Hey everyone,
I have been busy with real life lately, and installing Arch on a cheap
computer I got to learn more about systemd, and a few other things (like
making our programs work in more Linux Distros to hopefully attract more
developers one day)
I have most things working in Arch now, which is quite nice to me.

Anyhow, in using Arch I found a menu program written in Perl.  I
modified it, and now the JWM menu uses it.  I also rewrote the places
menu in script form and use that.  I reworked the jwmIconFinder script
to more pleasantly gather the list of Icons, and place them in the
correct order. which will make our menu look much nicer (check it out!!)

I also reworked things to put all our bash programs into the
torios-desktop package and a few other things.

So, even though I have been quiet I have been studying ToriOS, and
hacking it, and reworking/recoding things to make it all much nicer.

There are still some minor annoyances but all the major issues should be
gone.

If they are let us release this, it is a month after I wanted to, but
the improvements were absolutely worth it.

Hi Israel and Jack,

It works to install ToriOS at the advanced level from the current iso
file (into my Toshiba and a USB 3 SSH. I have not tested everything, far
from it, but I notice that the documentation needs updating. I checked
in the installed system and found this one (attached screenshot).

I tried again (at the advanced OBI level), this time to install the PAE
kernel, but failed. There was only the non-pae kernel after the
installation :-(

See the attached log files, "Couldn't figure out your distro..."

Hi again Israel,

I tried again, this time at the basic OBI level. It installs a working system, but also here it fails to install the PAE kernel.

The menu seems OK for me in the installed system, but the menu in the live system is really minimal - probably the same problem as reported by Jack.

I think you have changed too much at the same time, and lost some things that worked before.

I understand that you are fighting with the 'oversize for CD' problem, but I would have

- either released the system without those proprietary wifi drivers and tried to fix that in the next release,

- or made a very stripped down live system (only enough GUI to run gparted and the OBI installer, zmktbl and the manual). Removed sakura, mkusb, htop, ztweaks, evince, imagemagick ...

- and a system which is not within CD size as an alternative to the stripped down live system. Such a system might occupy 1-2 GB, it should be small enough for a 2 GB USB pendrive (which is well below the limit for a DVD).