Re: Testing in VB: RE: new TESTING iso

On 09/03/2016 03:41 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
Hi Jack and Israel,

+1 It makes things simpler :-)

Den 2016-09-03 kl. 22:39, skrev Cinque Port Computers:
Hi Israel,

I think once you started that Browser list it has opened up too many
glitches.  My initial thought would be just leave Firefox and Chromium
in the list and drop the rest.

Regards,
JackT.

Subject: Re: [Torios-dev] Testing in VB: RE: new TESTING iso
To: jackdtrice@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: torios-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; nio.wiklund@xxxxxxxxx
From: israeldahl@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2016 15:31:33 -0500

On 09/03/2016 11:50 AM, Cinque Port Computers wrote:

    Just confirming Firefox installs okay now after latest updates :)

Hi Jack,
I am thinking of just redirecting users to the websites of the other
browsers, since they can be problematic.
For instance, with Opera, and palemoon, and seamonkey.

Chromium is the only one that 'just works', qupzilla works on jessie,
but not on precise (which we no longer support officially, of course),
chrome is not complicated to do so i can also automate it. Midori (i
think)  works but is not as nice in Debian as it is on Ubuntu.

Anyhow... I think this is the best solution.  I do a check for xdg-open
and I also search for other common browsers just to see if there is an
easy way to make it work to open the website.

What do you think?
I am open to simply downloading the deb files from Opera and installing
them, but I do not entirely know what links to use.

Ok all,

I have removed seamonkey from the list, and just converted things to use the browser that are too complicated to make sure they just work at this point.

I pop open a window that informs the user a web browser is being opened, and then once they close that dialog the main firstrun screen opens.

I think this is simple enough for people to do, and still allows the users easy access to install the most common ones, and includes the easy ones for me to do.

I made the code WAY more modular, and brought most things into single functions.

This will make maintaining things easier still in the future, and make it cleaner. I may end up removing seamonkey altogether from the program there is no menu entry now, and the function just returns.

This will be revision 386, once it builds, please let me know what you think.