Re: JSM 2 update (as well as minor ToriOS stuff update)

Good questions Nio, I was wondering which variant to start with too [😊]

________________________________
From: Torios-dev <torios-dev-bounces+jackdtrice=outlook.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 13 November 2016 07:14
To: Israel; torios- dev
Subject: Re: [Torios-dev] JSM 2 update (as well as minor ToriOS stuff update)

Den 2016-11-12 kl. 22:54, skrev Israel:
> On 11/10/2016 11:38 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>> Den 2016-11-11 kl. 02:55, skrev Israel:
>>>

>> Hi Israel,
>>
>> I'm happy to see you active again :-)
>>
>> Please advice detailed steps how to get this version: where to start
>> and which command lines to run.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Nio
> Hi Nio!
> It is nice to have things stabilizing again!
> I just updated the code and will be rebuilding again.  I fixed a few
> minor annoyances in the themes section.
>
> So... to update to this version you must add the unstable testing PPA.
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:israeldahl/torios
>
> This will add my PPA.  Then simply
>
> sudo apt update && sudo apt -y full-upgrade
>
> Or... feel free to simply
>
> sudo apt install jwm-settings-manager
>
> This should update you to the 2.0 branch.
>
> The area needing the most attention currently is the 'Panel' section, so
> there will be missing features and bugs.  Hopefully nothing too major
> will be there.
>
> There is some highly experimental stuff (the recent Includes bit) that
> will require a bunch of manual labour, and possibly crash the program
> (completely untested).
>
> But I will test that out before giving instructions on how to do it, as
> I would like to limit the damage to others as much as possible here.
>

> But, test everything else.
>
> Desktop
>
> Windows
>
> Keyboard
>
> Themes
>
> Fonts
>
> Autostart
>

> The Icons thing is still really basic (only listing the filenames), and
> I will re-enable the 'icon theme' portion as soon as I nail down why it
> wasn't working
>
> The Touchpad/Mouse section should be tested on Mouse Only (no touchpad
> on the computer) AND touchpad computers... my laptop has a touchpad and
> it worked great to get it setup nicely
>
> I hope that covers everything :D

Thanks for these details, Israel :-)

I have another question too (very basic about where to start).

Can I start with (which would you expect to work)

- ToriOS 1.0 live
- ToriOS 1.0 installed
- ToriOS daily live (debian)
- ToriOS daily installed (debian)
- Debian Jessie (stable)
- Debian Stretch (testing)
- Debian Sid (unstable)
- Ubuntu 14.04.1 (trusty kernel)
- Ubuntu 14.04.5 (xenial kernel)
- Ubuntu 16.04.1 (xenial kernel)

and where is it best to start testing (what will be best for testing
what you want us to test)?

Post to     : torios-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx