Re: mkusb --> dus

On 11/15/2016 07:55 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have uploaded an early version '0.0.0' of a re-written user
> interface to mkusb - it is called 'dus' now, and there is a thin
> graphical front end, 'guidus'. Maybe it will be renamed to mkusb, when
> it is ready for end users.
>
> -o-
>
> You can get it (together with mkusb and mkusb-nox) from
>
> http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/mkusb
>
> if you download and run
>
> http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/mkusb/mkusb-installer
>
> cd Downloads
> bash mkusb-installer
>
> -o-
>
> and you can get it from the unstable PPA
>
> sudo add-apt-repository universe  # this line only for standard Ubuntu
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mkusb/unstable
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install guidus
>
> -o-
>
> I made dus to be easier to use and easier to maintain. I removed some
> features, that nobody has commented on and I think very few have used,
> and I think the user interface is easier to use compared to mkusb and
> mkusb-nox. I hope and think it should work with minimal instructions.
>
> 'dus' might not look as good as the current mkusb version, but it is
> possible to remove some rough edges. Of course there are bugs at this
> stage, but I think it will soon surpass mkusb in user friendliness.
>
> See this link (with more details and five screenshots):
>
> https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1958073&page=22&p=13570139#post13570139
>

> I have tested dus in Ubuntu (all current versions) and in Debian
> Jessie and Stretch.
>
> I must admit, that dus is not yet tested in ToriOS, but I expect that
> if there are glitches, I can fix them rather easily after spending a
> lot of time testing, fixing and polishing in Ubuntu and Debian.
>
> Have a look at [gui]dus, try it, and tell me what you think! Early
> feedback can make a big difference :-)
>
> Best regards
> Nio

Hi Nio,

I installed from PPA, and will take a look at it later.

My initial quick run of the program just to look at it was great.

First impressions:

SPEED!!  it seemed much faster than before!!

VISUALS!! The colors in the terminal behind the GUI are quite nice :D
The GUI looks very nice, simple and easy!

I will test actually making a USB later, but the first impressions are
very good!