/etc/hosts (related to Jack's bug)

Hi guys... I have been researching the hosts file and found something
interesting....

https://hosts-file.net/?s=Download

This website has built in ad/malware/warez/etc.. blocking in the hosts file.

I modified and converted their file to be used for our purposes into a
script.

You can run the program

./hosts.bash

and it will display the file (it is 498036 lines long... so there is that)

You can also run

./hosts.bash --block-hosts

@Nio what do you think the implications are for doing this?

Is this something that would be good to do to prevent our users from
malware, or is this unwise?

It does block some possibly wanted advertisements (?)

#line 55069

127.0.0.1    ads.google.com

But it also blocks tons of fake google 'ads'

Should we offer it as a choice for the user to install?

To get a minimal /etc/hosts you can

./hosts.bash --simple

You can also overwrite the hosts file

see the