Re: 19dec2016 Testing ISO

On 12/20/2016 12:53 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Den 2016-12-20 kl. 06:53, skrev Israel:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I do think I've gotten it now.
>>
>> I removed something from our xdg autostart that may have been causing
>> the issue, and rebuilt the ISO.
>>
>> It is uploaded and relinked, please give it a test, I tested it a few
>> times, so it works as far as I can tell, but Jack you are the expert on
>> this specific issue, so please tell me how it goes.
>>
>> So here is the TODO list before we can present 1.5 to Ali (I am calling
>> this ToriOS 1.5 since our release schedule is more like Debian "It will
>> be released when ready")
>>
>> - get Jack's issue fixed
>>
>> - if possible refine OBI to have a better, faster user configuration
>> which makes the user only select their language (or keyboard layout) and
>> automatically configures the timezone/locale/keyboard correctly. (This
>> is a bit of work, but if we can get it done by 2.0 at least... I'd be
>> glad)
>>
>> - test JSM 2.0 to make sure it actually works for other people than just
>> myself :D
>>
>> - finish/fix bugs for JSM 2.0
>>

>> I already found a bug in the menus that crept in, but I have since fixed
>> it.  It was preventing certain menu items from existing (thunderbird in
>> my case)  The fix is NOT in this ISO you will have to update it and
>> possibly remove some cache files for it to work...
>>
>> @Nio, or @Jack if there is an issue I am forgetting please remind me.
>>
>> Does the network work well for you in these recent releases?  I modified
>> the hosts, and resolv.conf in ISOmaker to fix this.
>>

>> Also, I have begun work on Debian unstable testing ISO (aka sid), which
>> will become 'stretch' i.e. Debian 9.0 for ToriOS 2.0.  So far so good.
>> But alot of changes have needed to happen in ISOmaker to support
>> building from unstable, and it is not yet finished.
>>

>> Thanks again for all your help in testing/ideas/etc..  I really
>> appreciate you!
>>

> Hi Israel,
>
> 1. I will zsync the new iso file and test it :-)
>
> 2. I'm not sure when I will have time for the language setting issue.
>
> 3. Right now I'm busy with the development of the new mkusb (guidus)
> and environments for it to make it easier to move from Windows to linux.
>
> Together with C.S.Cameron at the Ubuntu Forums I am testing
> stand-alone compressed image files, iso files and even self-extracting
> exe files for Windows with small systems. ToriOS might fit here too,
> either a live system without tarball, or the tarball converted to a
> compressed image file, ToriOS-x.x.img.xz
>
> We have small 9w iso files, image files and self-extracting exe files
> with sizes 230-250 MiB, and we are considering torrents to make them
> easy to get even with slow or unstable internet connections.
>
> Byt the way, the idea of a ToriOS live system without a tarball would
> solve a long lasting problem: to make sure that the íso file is within
> [...]

Hi Nio,

I agree.  I think the dltbl part of OBI should be modified and
expanded.  We could 'wget' the list from your directory on Phill's
server and populate a list with it.

Also, I can expand the initial tarball search code in a separate file to
browse through all the attached media devices, and also look on harddrives.

We already solved the issue of unmounting the tarball device... I have
installed a tarball from a separate partition on more than one occasion
successfully.

This may be the best way to provide ToriOS 2.0

We can offer 2 live versions as well, the minimal version we are using,
and a version with jwm-settings-manager.