Re: ToriOS ISO considerations

On 27/01/18 13:07, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Den 2018-01-26 kl. 23:21, skrev Israel:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I recently have been putting some work into OBI, as you all know.
>>
>> There have been a few issues related to how I built the base tarball
>> that should be completely resolved.
>>
>> One thing I have recently decided to try is to test out the old '9W' ;)
>> startup screen
>>
>> a.k.a text-mode-menu
>>
>> Basically it shows a menu allowing old computers to use the dialog
>> interface for OBI without needing the entire ToriOS environment to
>> load.  Of course ToriOS can still be run from that menu by choosing the
>> graphical interface option.
>>
>> This is a pretty big change (visually) so I am going to put it in the
>> next ISO to get everyone's feedback.
>>
>> The majority of my current work in OBI has been adding tabs to the code,
>> as well as comments.  I did, however, change a major thing to install
>> grub, rather than the old manual configuration method using sed.  We
>> already install grub but I just moved it before other things that went
>> in front of it previously.
>>
>> I hope to have this out soon, however Launchpad is slow to build things.
>> It is likely bionic is taking a lot of resources right now, as well as
>> all the kernel mess (Meltdown/Spectre).
>>
>> So, specifically Nio (9w) what do you think about my use of the
>> text-mode-menu again (it has been many years since we've used it).
>>

> Hi Israel,
>
> Sure we can use the text-mode-menu again. It might be particularly
> useful for
>
> 1. Very old computers and computer with very small RAM
>
> 2. Computers with a graphics chip/card, that does not work out of the
> box with the built-in linux drivers.
>
> Please let us know, when there is something to test!
>
> Best regards
> Nio

Text mode is a good idea,  debian still uses this as an option,  i know
the Raspbian intaller for Raspberry Pi, desktop / pixel release  so it
should not be a problem for people to install

I am giessing there willbe

boot - > bootmenu -- choice of text or gui mode  then from the gui live
you can install and from the text mode you can install or basically move
directly in to a OBI installer.

Or something along those lines.

Paul

--
Paul Sutton
http://www.zleap.net

Torbay Tech Jam - 2nd Saturday of the Month at Paignton Library