Re: ToriOS 2.0 background

On 04/03/2018 02:34 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Den 2018-04-02 kl. 19:24, skrev Israel:
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> I decided to make a background image for ToriOS 2.0 since we have used
>> the same artwork for a long time.  I updated the last one when we made
>> the Jessie ISO to be more muted looking, and decided to make this one,
>> let me know what you think
>>
>> https://github.com/Israel-D/torios-core/blob/master/backgrounds/default-2.0.jpg
>>

> Hi Israel,
>
> You made a nice background image :-)
>
> It looks good but is big, 3,7 MiB, and there are sharp edges between
> the small mosaic plates, which might make icons difficult to see (if
> there is not enough colour contrast).
>
> -o-
>
> Some years ago I made background images with a smooth grey single
> colour and the ToriOS symbol in red. Those image files of mine are
> very small, and they make icons and text easy to see. You find them at
>
> http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/torios/wallpapers/
>
> default_1280x1024_character.png
> default_1600x1200_character.png
> default_1920x1080_character.png
> default_1920x1200_character.png
>
> If only one file, the last one might be used as standard (size=31kiB)
>
> $ wc -c default_1920x1200_character.png
> 31703 default_1920x1200_character.png
>
> Best regards
> Nio

Hi Nio,

I really like texture in my backgrounds, so the plain ones are something
that are not my favorite style... it is why I edited the original ToriOS
background to have more texture.  I know some people really like that so
I would be glad to include it as well.

I updated the image based on your suggestions, as well.  I smoothed
things drastically, and reduced the image quality to get the file to 39 KiB.

I personally would like to offer a few options for images in ToriOS.
So, I am re-exporting the original at a lower quality (37.9 KiB compared
to 187.3 KiB)

So, default 1.0, default 2.0 and Nio default would still be smaller all
together than the original.  Do you think this is a good idea?  I think
we can offer more for our users this way, and still decrease the overall
size