Re: The full list of ToriOS's packages

On 05/27/2018 01:19 AM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could someone please provide me with a full list of ToriOS's packages?
> From A to Z.
>
> How and where can I find that?!
>
> Thank you in advance!
>

> --
> Remember: "All of us are smarter than any one of us."
>
> Best Regards,
> Ali/amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>

ToriOS Core (non GUI... the functional system stuff... though it
includes some X11 stuff)

alsa-utils,
 apparmor,
 apt-transport-https,
 bash-completion,
 busybox-static,
 command-not-found,
 consolekit,
 cpio,
 cron,
 dialog,
 discover,
 dnsutils,
 dosfstools,
 ed,
 file,
 ftp,
 ghostscript,
 gsfonts,
 hdparm,
 hfsprogs,
 htop,
 info,
 iptables,
 iputils-tracepath,
 irqbalance,
 laptop-detect,
 less,
 links2,
 linux-base | linux-generic | linux-generic-lts-trusty,
 locate,
 logrotate,
 lshw,
 lsof,
 ltrace,
 lzma,
 man,
 man-db,
 manpages,
 mime-support,
 mlocate,
 mtr-tiny,
 nano,
 net-tools,
 ntfs-3g,
 openssh-client,
 partclone,
 parted,
 pciutils,
 ppp,
 pppconfig,
 pppoeconf,
 psmisc,
 pv,
 python3-software-properties | python-software-properties,
 rsync,
 rtorrent,
 software-properties-common,
 sudo,
 strace,
 tcpdump,
 telnet,
 time,
 ufw,
 upower,
 usbutils,
 uuid-runtime,
 wget,
 wireless-tools,
 x11-xserver-utils,
 xdg-user-dirs,
 xdg-utils,
 xinit,
 xserver-xorg,
 xserver-xorg-core | xserver-xorg-core-lts-trusty,
 zsync

ToriOS DESKTOP (things you consider apps in *BOLD*)

alsa-utils,
 desktop-file-utils,
 *gdebi*,
 gettext,
 gnome-keyring,
 gksu,
 grub2,
 gxmessage,
 *imagemagick*,
 jwm,
 jwm-menu | jwm-menu-bash,
* jwm-settings-manager* (>=2.0.0ubuntu1) | torios-jwmrc-script-tools,
 libgtk2.0-bin,
 libpam-gnome-keyring,
 lightdm,
 lightdm-gtk-greeter,
 menu,
 menu-xdg,
 network-manager | wicd,
* network-manager-gnome* | wicd-gtk,
 *pcmanfm* | thunar | rox-filer | nautilus,

 xfce4-power-manager | sdesk | *yad*,

### We don't use xfce4-power-manager we for the battery indicator we use
a script + yad.  It has a lot of hefty depends!

 *sakura* | gnome-terminal | xfce4-terminal | lxterminal,
 torios-apthandler | apturl,
 torios-core,
 torios-plymouth |  torios-plymouth-text,
 torios-doc,
 volumeicon-alsa | *yad*,
 wpagui,
* x11-apps*,
 xdg-user-dirs-gtk,
 xkbset,
 *xterm*,
 *xtrlock*,
 xsltproc,
 *zenity*

*
*

yad and zenity  make up many of our 'apps' and indicators

 - volume/power are yad + bash

 - logout/shutdown/suspend/hibernate are bash +
yad/zenity/gxmessage/whatever dialogs

 - About Computer/Common Tasks/Update System and
Coftware/zLocate/zRun/Screenie/Calendar/Search and Install
Software/Sticky Keys Chooser

Are all bash scripts with a zenity/yad/dialog/etc... frontend GUI

Altogether our scripts are 287.9 KiB in size

The x11 apps are 2,166 kB (installed size from `apt show x11-apps` on 64bit)

apt show torios-desktop  = Installed-Size: 1,660 kB

The x11 apps give us a text editor that is not vi or nano, so it becomes
much easier to edit files for the user.  It also includes a calculator,
a screen magnifier, and a x11 manual browser.  I also has xload.

We decided to go with these smaller packages because it gave us MANY
more choices and made ToriOS very usable with no major package installs

The user can install galculator/gnome-calculator or whatever and
leafpad/mousepad/pluma/geany/whatever for text files.

We chose not to install some of these other things, because the
dependency sizes.  We get the basic functionality, and a smaller size.

That said, I am open to getting rid of basically everything (no
settings, no extra functionality like calculator/text editor/graphical
shutdown/restart or software tools.)

We could trim it down even further, no doubt about it.