Re: fltk-dialog + di + eliminating GTK (possibly)

Hi Israel,

[Answering inline]

Den 2018-08-17 kl. 03:12, skrev Israel:
Hi all,

a while ago Faraco brought fltk-dialog <https://github.com/darealshinji/fltk-dialog/> to my attention, I have recently been investigating it, and the capabilities of it, and also built a preliminary package (which works fine).  Here is my report:

The upsides:

Seemingly complete compatibility with the other popular dialogs such as zenity/yad/dialog/Xdialog/etc.. but with a argument syntax similar to zenity/yad

The downsides:

It is a bit large (1.8 MiB) since it statically links a slightly modified version of a more recent FLTK (1.3.4)

It is possible to rework the program to remake things to avoid patching FLTK and using a static library (by making extended classes rather than patching the code) AFAIK, and perhaps get upstream FLTK devs on board and include the changes.  Currently it supports indicator icons via using GTK libs, but not the entire library, and I have suggested using code similar to mine for the indicators.

I am afraid, that it is a lot of work to remake all programs and scripts that depend on GTK to FLTK. Is it worth spending all that time and work on that task rather than upgrading ToriOS to work based on newer versions of Debian (or Ubuntu) and polishing ToriOS?

Basically I think we could convert our tools (mkusb/OBI/etc..) to use fltk-dialog and save a lot of space if we can completely migrate away from GTK, though the main issue here will be PCManFM.  It would be really great to have a fully non GTK DE that rivals the GTK LXDE and can easily run on older hardware in very strong and clean way.

This will require some serious thought, and as Ali and Nio discussed earlier it might be time to look into using di (Debian Installer) to install ToriOS, rather than OBI, since things have changed.  We could (potentially) make an FLTK front end, though this is a rather imposing idea since most Debian docs about their internal tools are rather lame (such as apt-pkg).

A question about mkusb: I have seen zero interest from ToriOS users in the persistent live feature. If this is correct, we could make a much simplified version of mkusb from the basics, and that version can be created with a light-weight GUI (FLTK, if/as you wish).

I still think we should look into alternative installers (and replace the OBI). We should pick an installer, that already exists and is used by other linux distros, and that is able to install both in BIOS mode and UEFI mode.

Either way Debian turned 25 today (16 Aug) so that is exciting :D

I'd appreciate feedback about these ideas