Progress...

Hi all,

I have been spending a fair bit of time investigating some of the
remaining issues to fully remove GTK from ToriOS.

3 major hurdles are visible to me.

1. Display Manager (lightdm).

  I am investigating the systemd APIs to discover if I can write a very
simple login manager, since there is really no good alternatives that I
have found yet.

2. PCManFM

  I am not sure what to completely do here.  I could have fun writing an
app for this, but I am not sure about the more complicated aspects
(gvfs/samba/sftp/volume management).  I have not found a good (i.e. one
that compiles without modification... like tons of warnings and errors)
FLTK file manager yet.

So I am not sure if this is something that will happen... but that
said... I do really enjoy programming so I *might* work up something here...

3. Installer

This seems less important actually.  The live CD can have extra things
more so than the installed version.  But the earlier discussions seemed
to indicated the real usage of OBI was not as valuable as it used to be.

However it may still be nice to use an existing one (like d-i aka Debian
Installer) and work with things that way.

So if anyone knows of a good display manager lets try it, or a good
working file manager.. or an installer that they can (or I can) modify
to install ToriOS without having to fork it majorly