Re: About Me Application

On 2/8/19 1:10 PM, Paul Sutton wrote:

> Hi, All
>
> Not sure if this is useful, but as the About Me App in Debian 9, appears
> to be buggy (or it is on my system(s) anyway.  I have started to write a
> python version.
>
> I am a little stuck on how to save the data in a file.
>
> I am also not sure if the original program is meant to change the user
> shell.   However as an application having it just save that data to a
> file is probably sufficient for the moment.
>
> https://github.com/zleap/AboutMe
>
> If this is useful for ToriOS then I am happy for it to be included (once
> working).  I have issued a release but tagged it as pre-release.
>
> I have added a README.md file for this to give further information. And
> some context as to why I decided to try and write this.
>
> Hope this helps
>

> Paul

Hey Paul

I do think this save actual information, think about the manual adding
of a user from the terminal (adduser rather than useradd)

It asks for full name, room number, work phone, home phone, and other.

I think the information is actually stored in the password file, so you
might need to include some sort of pkexec functionality in your program
to reflect this.  However it might store it differently.  I do also know
that usually a picture of the user is stored as ~/.face

If you need help with the pkexec policy file let me know, it is an XML
file so it is pretty easy to make