Re: About Me Application

On 09/02/2019 13:52, Israel wrote:
> On 2/8/19 1:10 PM, Paul Sutton wrote:
> >
>> Hi, All
>>
>> Not sure if this is useful, but as the About Me App in Debian 9, appears
>> to be buggy (or it is on my system(s) anyway.  I have started to write a
>> python version.
>>
>> I am a little stuck on how to save the data in a file.
>>
>> I am also not sure if the original program is meant to change the user
>> shell.   However as an application having it just save that data to a
>> file is probably sufficient for the moment.
>>
>> https://github.com/zleap/AboutMe
>>
>> If this is useful for ToriOS then I am happy for it to be included (once
>> working).  I have issued a release but tagged it as pre-release.
>>
>> I have added a README.md file for this to give further information. And
>> some context as to why I decided to try and write this.
>>
>> Hope this helps
>>

>> Paul
>>

> Hey Paul
>
> I do think this save actual information, think about the manual adding
> of a user from the terminal (adduser rather than useradd)
>
> It asks for full name, room number, work phone, home phone, and other.
>
> I think the information is actually stored in the password file, so
> you might need to include some sort of pkexec functionality in your
> program to reflect this.  However it might store it differently.  I do
> also know that usually a picture of the user is stored as ~/.face
>
> If you need help with the pkexec policy file let me know, it is an XML
> file so it is pretty easy to make

Thanks for that,  It had not really occurred to me that it was linked to
the info you put in when adding a user with adduser. (given the fields
it makes sense now)

Anyway as my version has gone off at a tangent as a result (collects
more data e,g e-mail) it can now write to a data file.  Not sure if it
is still useful generally for uses to store their info though.

To do:

1. Fix -  writing what is selected in the drop down.

2. Auto retrieve data upon loading. (so the drop down default should be
what ever was selected before)

I think as it stores locally it is fine

Does ToriOS need a tool like this?  or do we have one already ?

I am getting there.

Regards

Paul