Re: It's official! Torios.org is alive!

 > ---- Aan wo, 15 jan 2014 22:55:19 +0100 Ali Linx (amjjawad) schreef ----
 >

 > >On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 11:33 PM, Geoffrey De Belie wrote:
 > >
 > > ---- Aan wo, 15 jan 2014 20:28:28 +0100 William schreef ----
 > >
 > >  > Yes, I have FTP access. Are you requesting it for yourself for some reason? I have a website on the way as it is and it's coming along quite nice.
 > >  >

 > >I would like to setup MediaWiki for docs. It's used by Arch Linux wiki, for example. And the ever popular Wikipedia. I promise: I know what FTP means and I won't mess up the server ;)
 > >
 > > Kind regards,
 > >
 > > Geoffrey De Belie / Smile4ever
 > >
 > >Is this my lucky day or what? this is getting better and better (touch the wood, knock the wood - I don't want to envy myself nor the project hahahaha) :D
 > >

 > >Why didn't I think about that? YES, of course, I'd love to have a Wiki Area for our Project but please, can that be similar to Ubuntu Wiki? I am very good with Ubuntu Wiki - well, have a look at my work and my team (Ubuntu GNOME Wiki & Docs) work ... we have done a lot for Ubuntu GNOME: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/OneStopPage
 > >

 > >I have already contact one of the guys I trust and I know for a fact that he can be the driver for our Wiki Area. But again, I'd love to have something like Ubuntu Wiki if that possible?
 > >
 > >Otherwise, is the other Wiki System similar?
 > >

 > >--
 > >Remember: "All of us are smarter than any one of us."
 > > Best Regards,
 > >
 > >amjjawad
 > >
 > >Areas of Involvement
 > >
 > >My Projects

I suspect it is. For a comparision of the MoinMoin software (used by Ubuntu) and the MediaWiki software, see here: http://moinmo.in/MoinMoinVsMediaWiki

Some problems with MoinMoin:
* It uses Python, which is not very common (MediaWiki uses the very common PHP)
* MoinMoin was never designed for multi-language wikis (from the ground up, MediaWiki was - it includes many languages by default).
* The extensions for MoinMoin are heavily fragmented into versions (if running on current version, does not mean it will run on the next version - this will create trouble later)

Furthermore, MediaWiki can be expanded with cool and handy extensions: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Extensions

MediaWiki is very comparable to MoinMoin syntax :) For a GUI mode of editing, we can use this: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:VisualEditor (don't worry about the word experimental, it has already been deployed on the English Wikipedia and works great)

MediaWiki also gives us a powerfull API, which is great for programmers like us ;). I'm preparing a wiki system on my own site to showcase what we can achieve on the final site. I will give you the link once ready.

Kind regards,
Geoffrey De Belie / Smile4ever

P.S. Second try to send this e-mail.