Re: Kernel

Den 2014-08-22 15:33, Israel skrev:
> Hi,
> Has anyone had any success finding any info out about the PAE issue?
>
> a. can we install a non-pae on a pae device and it work using OBI?
> b. is it easy to get a pae kernel in Trusty?

Hi Israel,

a. Yes, we can install a system with a non-pae kernel in a computer with
a PAE CPU. (I have done it many times.)

Or do you mean the opposite? To install a system with a pae kernel in a
computer with a non-pae PAE CPU. Pentium M and Celeron M have PAE
capability but no PAE flag. They work with fake-pae and forcepae. Old
CPUs without PAE capability are actually hard to find nowadays, and are
usually too weak for a modern linux system anyway. Maybe DSL may work or
a simple text base debian system. Anyway non-pae CPUs need non-pae
operating systems.

I can also run Phill's non-pae kernel in my Toshiba with Intel i5 (which
has 64-bit architecture). I have made installations with two kernels,
the default 'generic pae' and the non-pae kernel. Both work, but the
non-pae kernel cannot use RAM above 2 GB as efficiently as PAE (of
course). But UEFI demands 64-bit systems.

b. Yes, you get it by default in Ubuntu based systems. If you have only
a non-pae kernel you can install the current PAE kernel with

sudo apt-get install linux-generic-pae
probably even

sudo apt-get install linux-generic

will install it. Try it yourself :-)

If I remember correctly, it is one of the menu alternatives in

http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/9w/obi_Trusty-nonpae-txt5-9w.iso