Re: Kernel

Hi Nio!

On 08/22/2014 09:28 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Den 2014-08-22 15:33, Israel skrev:
>> Hi,
>> Has anyone had any success finding any info out about the PAE issue?
>>
>> a. can we install a non-pae on a pae device and it work using OBI?
>> b. is it easy to get a pae kernel in Trusty?
>>
> Hi Israel,
>
> a. Yes, we can install a system with a non-pae kernel in a computer with
> a PAE CPU. (I have done it many times.)
>
> Or do you mean the opposite? To install a system with a pae kernel in a
> computer with a non-pae PAE CPU. Pentium M and Celeron M have PAE
> capability but no PAE flag. They work with fake-pae and forcepae. Old
> CPUs without PAE capability are actually hard to find nowadays, and are
> usually too weak for a modern linux system anyway. Maybe DSL may work or
> a simple text base debian system. Anyway non-pae CPUs need non-pae
> operating systems.
I have been staring at CmakeLists trying to force Precise to FindFLTK so
my brain is a bit jelly right now :)

I think the main issue is the PAE flag. I did mean the opposite.
Installing on non-pae for the older laptops that don't set the flag in
the processor.  Like 12.04 Lubuntu offering a non-pae installation option.

Can this be done in OBI by using a pae kernel on a non pae?
as in, the very last section (C) on this page...
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PAE

So does the whole non-pae issue arise from a flag that a processor
doesn't set, even if it is PAE.

I am trying to understand whether or not we can install trusty on a
non-pae flag computer with a normal (in the repos) kernel, or whether we
need to use Precise to do precisely this :)
OR, is it possible to use phillw's kernel and have it stay up-to-date in
trusty?  Or is it needed only for the Live image?

I hope I am more clear, but it is hard to mush my thoughts back together
:)  And I don't entirely understand the pae issue.