Re: RC1 of ToriOS Alpha

Den 2014-09-06 09:45, Jack T. skrev:
> On Fri, September 5, 2014 10:15 pm, Israel wrote:
>> Hi Jack,
>> We don't have a program installed to change the localization.
>> I have been asking on here for a viable option.  I have never used any
>> program, so I do not know which ones are good, or even which ones are
>> available. Did WiFi work for you in the Live version??
>> I have not fully gotten to the WiFi issue.  Hardwired network should
>> work fine.
>>
>> Let me know what programs are out there and which ones work best.

>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> I checked I had PAE set, so that wasn't any problem.
>>>

>>> Ran it again in VB and finally got the GRUB screen up and booted to the
>>>  JWM desktop.
>>>

>>> 1) I could not get my WiFi to work with wicd.
>>> 2) Wasn't sure how to get locale/keyboard/timezone localised to UK/GB.
>>>

>>> Jack T.
>>>

>> --
>> Regards
>>

> Hi Israel,
>
> Ah, okay, thanks for clarifying about localization status...sorry but I
> have no knowledge in that area...
>
> WiFi works okay using the LiveCD...
>
> JackT

Hi everybody,

I'm testing ToriOS-alpha-rc1.iso in my IBM Thinkpad with Pentium M.

The live system installed nicely and runs well in the desktop (with the
non-pae kernel 3.2.0-68-generic)

The network is OK, not only the IP numbers, but also names are resolved
now :-)

And the installer works / the tarball's name is still ball :-)

-o-

The installation was good. We know that the installed system is lagging
behind, there are bugs to be squashed and features to be tweaked, but it
works.

-o-

A comment about style: The borders of the xterm windows are not
different enough from the background, it is hard to tell two overlapping
windows apart.

A general comment: Congratulations to good progress Israel :-)

ps/

I tested the bleeding edge mkusb version 9.0 via

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mkusb/unstable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mkusb

and it works (except that the font is bigger, so the Welcome and Warning
window must be made slightly wider). The desktop file is hardcoded in
the live session, so you should start the new one with

rox /usr/share/applications/mkusb.desktop

otherwise the old desktop will be used. The shellscript mkusb 9.0 will
run in both cases, but the console windows will be different.

This should be no problem in an installed system with a working network,
but I wanted to test it here to find out if the new version of mkusb
works with ToriOS.

/ds