Re: Locale Chooser

Hi Jack, Nio and all!

On 09/08/2014 07:13 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
> Den 2014-09-08 11:10, Jack T. skrev:
>> On Mon, September 8, 2014 4:05 am, Israel wrote:
>>> Hey everyone...
>>> I made this bash script..
>>> This should enable users to set their Locale very easily...
>>> Anyone want to test it for me?
>>> There are two files
>>> locale.sh and list locale.sh needs to be marked executable keep both in the
>>> same directory It needs zenity installed, but the script should check for
>>> this and ask to install it.
>>>
>>> to run it go to the directory with both files and type ./locale.sh
>>>

>>> Thanks everyone :)
>>>

>>> --
>>> Regards
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>> Hi Israel,
>>
>> I tested this out inside my ToriOS install inside VB...seemed to operate
>> okay...but my choice uk/GB did not persist over a logoff or reboot.
>>
>> JackT.

Ok, I will look more into this...  But I am not sure it can persist in
the Live Image... I don't think there is persistence for it... since
this isn't a Casper based system... I could see if adding the tiny bit
of Ubuntu specific stuff will allow it to be persistent though....
> Hi Israel and Jack,
>
> It does not work properly for Swedish (at least not in ToriOS and
> Lubuntu Trusty). See this link.
>
> Maybe something is lacking in order for Swedish to be implemented.
> German and French worked better. for example de-DE.utf8 made the header
> line of df change to German. With the -h (human readable option), French
> worked, but not German, which stopped at a special German character.
I think I know what the issue is here... did the Dialog showing the
installed locales show up?
It should list all the current locales you have installed.
> df -h # OK if French, bad if German, English header if Swedish locale
> rox   # OK if French, OK if German, English header if Swedish locale
>
> But it did not work until I used the export command in the folling link.
> (It is hard to reboot the live system, and I did not try in an installed
> ToriOS system.)
>
> http://www.shellhacks.com/en/HowTo-Change-Locale-Language-and-Character-Set-in-Linux

I used:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Locale
as my guide...
particularly
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Locale#Changing_settings_permanently

hmm...
Hold on... line 13, I left off the quotes on accident... that should fix
the language issue I think.

> Changing the keyboard seems independent:
>
> setxkbmap se
> setxkbmap de
> setxkbmap fr
I added this into the script

> Best regards
> Nio
Ok, try this version and see if it works for you.  I think the changes
should persist in an installed OS, though I don't whether setxkbmap
persists.