Re: Persistent USB image

Den 2014-09-14 04:21, Israel skrev:
> Hi all,
> I have been looking into making a persistent USB image after our meeting
> today, and I am not entirely sure I can, though Nio may have better
> insight here.
>
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/78098/how-to-chroot-into-persistent-installation
>
> I am not entirely sure if this is something we can do for ToriOS 1.0,
> but it may be very important to look into.  I am sure the OBI system can
> benefit from having persistent data, as this will make it easier to make
> a tarball on the live system.  I could be wrong about this but I wanted
> to put this info out here in case someone wants to look into this.  I am
> not going to mess with this until ToriOS 1.0 is ready.... as it is there
> is enough going on :)
>
> Also, I have been tossing around the idea of adding a Panel along the
> bottom with buttons for The manual and the Installer.  I think this
> would be a good idea, rather than using a custom menu for the Live OS,
> it could be a custom interface... this would make the installer easily
> discoverable.
>
> Any thoughts?

Hi,

@ Israel and all,

* Persistance *

I agree that persistence is not an urgent matter at this moment, it is
easy enough to make a portable installed system to a USB drive with the
OBI installer. This does not mess with the bootloader of the internal
drive (which the standard installers do, unless you change that manually).

Persistence may be straight-forward to get using Unetbootin or the
Startup Disk Creator alias usb-creator-gtk, or to do it manually
(creating a casper-rw file or partition. But in this case, it is not
possible to use mkusb, because it makes a read-only drive with the
ISO9660 file system. You can make a persistent live system if the file
system in read-write, typically fat32 or ext2. I can make a quick check,
if there is something important missing.

It also depends on the kernel. That should be no problem in 12.04, but
in 14.04 you must select the correct non-pae kernel. I think Phill made
one for installed systems and one for live systems, and you need the
kernel for live systems also for persistent live systems.

* Bottom panel *

I think a significant part of the usage of ToriOS will be with the
original netboot resolution, 1000x600, and then an extra solid bottom
panel will eat desktop space, which is already scarce. So I suggest that
you avoid a bottom panel.I don't particularly like autohiding panels,
they tend to appear by mistake and damage the work flow, when you move
the cursor to a place near the autohiding panel's edge of the screen.
Instead I suggest to put the manual and the installer as desktop icons
in the live system, and the manual as a desktop icon also in the
installed system.

-o-

@ Phill, have you merged those non-pae kernels now, so that one kernel
works well for live as well as installed systems?