Re: ISO update

On 09/18/2014 05:48 PM, Paul Sutton wrote:

> On 18/09/14 23:29, Israel wrote:
> > Hi all, I have been reworking a few things in the builder script to
> > make everything nicer for others. I have decided to use the package
> > nodm on the live CD, as it requires no Display manager and auto
> > configures everything (yay no more text files to install) I also
> > decided that I really like seamonkey way more than midori.  So I
> > added the Mozilla repo and installed seamonkey. Puppy Linux uses
> > seamonkey and besides it is the good old Netscape Navigator feel.
> > Plus we now have a native chat utility, mail program, web browser
> > and web editor for the Tori people. this is just the live CD
> > version, mind you.
>
> > I am contemplating reworking the install that uses OBI to using a
> > chroot... but that is something I haven't decided on doing.  I
> > think we can pack a lot more stuff in our image this way.  i.e. I
> > can archive a whole slew of debs in a tar.xz file and simply
> > extract them into the chroot that is created using basically the
> > same ISO builder script. Then install grub2 on the machine this way
> > the user can configure their own password and username.  I haven't
> > fully decided if this is a good idea or not.  I'd like some
> > feedback on it.  I am only contemplating this for ToriOS 2.0  (or a
> > later 1.X version) I will need to do a lot more testing and whatnot
> > to get that even sketched out as a realistic proposal.... however I
> > know that many Linux distros use this type of method.  Ubiquity
> > prehaps uses this as well. Though I will want to use something very
> > light (like dialog or zenity) to get user input.
>
> > Anyhow, things are tightening up and becoming more stable and much
> > better for the eventual Beta release.  Hopefully sooner rather than
> > later.
>
> > Oh, also, I will upload the build scripts to github soon.  I am
> > currently implementing a 'caching' feature.  This basically copies
> > the chroot's /var/cache/apt/archives folder to your bas directory
> > in a folder called archives-${RELEASE}_${ARCH} where release is
> > (currently) precise and arch is (currently) i386 so
> > archives-precise_i386 It also makes a tarball for the deboostrap to
> > use. This way you or I can modify it without having to download the
> > entire thing every single time. I have negated the need for a lot
> > of the hacky stuff I was using.  I will soon get more things set up
> > so the only thing that is needed is the basic script.
>
> > Thanks everyone!
>

> Cool will download and give it a try when ready,   I can also try it
> out in virtual box :)
>
> Paul
Hi Paul, it will be a bit of time before I release it,
I need to refine the installed OS better so the user can use everything
out-of-the-box without the hassles of using a mailing list to
troubleshoot simple issues.

I have been thinking it might be a good idea to list some of the
shortcuts on the default background... what do you think about that?