Re: ToriOS update

On 10/08/2014 01:07 PM, Israel wrote:
Hey everyone,

Hello everyone,
I have been fighting a problem for a while trying to get everything just
right... and I finally found out...
I cannot fix this current issue with the current setup.

Issue: XDM doesn't support consolekit  (please correct me if I am wrong)

Solution: SLiM? or back to the console login, or upload a version on XDM
which supports consolekit

What do you guys think?

The reason this is important (mainly) is shutting down.
For a normal user to shut down the computer (safely) without requiring a
password we need consolekit to start the session
in the console login I use ck-launch-session jwm
Consolekit is part of Upstart, this will all change with systemd  (no
idea what we need there... but that is quite a way off fortunately)

I think that we should NOT just depend on ourselves and our very small team but also ask other people for help and support. I know some of you may not know so many people like myself or Phill (for example) but I am 100% sure that if we seek help somewhere else rather than this list, I am sure we will get some help and I am also sure some people might be interested and join us.

The odd problem that we currently have is beyond what Israel has just explained.

This project is VERY active when it comes to development and communications but it is very INACTIVE when it comes to contributions. Of the the ideas to break this and change this fact is to ask for external help. This is the best idea that I could think of.

While our brave and great friend Israel is doing his very best ... putting tears, sweat and blood into this ... other people can help. I have asked that billion of times already. We could do two things at the same time, it is not an overkill at all. Really, I don't need to remind you about that.

Israel is going the extra miles here since day one. He deserves more help. So, I am asking everyone here if we got stuck somewhere, we need to seek external help.

ALSO, those who are doing NOTHING at all, if you are seriously consider yourself part of ToriOS, then prove it :) following up with the emails is NOT helpful AT ALL. You have to do something ... whatever you do is helpful but you need to 'do' ...

Thanks

Sadly, I know nothing about development. However, I know that it is all about marketing and communications.

Here is the plan:
We carry on with what we do to build ToriOS

IF we got stuck somewhere THEN
        we seek external help
ELSE
       we shall have hard time (more energy, more time, more .. etc)

No excuses from my side. No promises either. Everyone knows that I have moved for the 3rd time in 15 months and I'm looking for a job. Also, I want this project to go beyond the current status.

We need to come up with a work plan ... we can make it, I am sure but it is taking more time and more energy ... it should be more smooth and easy.

@Israel
Have you tried t seek external help?!

--
Ali/amjjawad