Re: ISO and 4MLinux JWM

On 12/19/2014 03:54 AM, Jack T. wrote:
> On Wed, December 17, 2014 9:41 pm, Israel wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>> this is more of an e-mail to sort out my thoughts.
>>
>> The main issue we are facing is connectivity.
>> There are two main options here.
>> Use one of the applets (which do not seem to want to work correctly)
>> possibly making the base install larger (not too much of a problem) or do
>> something else.
>>
>> SO, if we do something else we need someone who is more of an expert in
>> setting up networks in Linux.  The current network applets cost us memory
>> to the tune of 5ish MB.  This is not a huge deal, however they don't work
>> correctly... so this is a huge deal. If someone knows a way to scan for
>> wireless networks from the terminal and log into them without a network
>> applet (like you might do on the Mini ISO aside from editing
>> /etc/network/interfaces though that could be
>> a fine choice as it is a normal file read by the computer on startup...
>> though it does cause Ubuntu to boot slowly if the network is not currently
>> available....) that would be great.  It is very easy to make a simple
>> dialog list in zenity and allow the choice to be passed on to something
>> else.  We could make a script that when you click the icon for networking
>> it does all the fancy stuff and populates the list.... then when you click
>> it it connects you... and you can have that saved to do automatically (by
>> including a custom startup script which would be all generated and handled
>> automatically)
>>
>> Does anyone know how feasible this is?  I am thinking Nio or Jörn have a
>>  better idea about whether or not this is possible, or if it would be a
>> waste of time to try to save a few MB of RAM.
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>>

>> -Israel
>> ToriOS Team
>>

>> --
>>

> Hey Israel,
>
> I'm not sure if this will help look for solutions, but 4MLinux seems a
> neat small fast JWM implementation; maybe worth a look for how things have
> been implemented for some of your remaining tasks...
>
> http://4mlinux.com/index.php?page=home
>
> Cheers,
> JackT.

Hi Jack,
I went to the site and started looking around at their sourceforge site
and the files they have there... it will take me some time to go through
their stuff and look at everything.  There may be some useful stuff, but
I don't know.  I have never used it, but it seems to be built very
minimally from source, so they may do some things very differently than
we can.  They also use some tools (from my brief exploration) that are
no longer maintained, such as iDesk...

Puppy is a similar situation where they use things that are very out of
date, and also Puppy runs normally as root... so any of these things we
use will most likely require modification.

If you have the time to contact the developers and find out what scripts
they have created, or simply test their OS, and hunt out those files
yourself I'd be interested.  Currently I do not have the time to go
checking into this as much as I'd like.

I am fairly busy trying to get jwm-settings-manager ready for the final
ToriOS, and also trying to build the Beta, and maintain the scripts and
configurations as things change (new functionalities, different
programs, etc...)  IF there is a good ready made wireless/wired network
script that can be modified to work on Ubuntu as a normal user I'd be
glad to look at it and modify it, as that will lighten up our Memory
footprint.  But as Nio pointed out a few days back, we do need all the
functionality we can have, such as displaying available wireless
networks, and offering auto-connect for hotspots that are used
frequently or when the ethernet cable is plugged in.
Puppy has some network tools that do this very well.  But again my time
is limited, and I am trying to get the jwm-settings-manager up to par
for a real release.

-Israel
ToriOS Team