Re: ToriOS defaults(Was: jwm-settings-manager)

Hi Nio
(inlines)

On 01/01/2015 01:53 PM, Nio Wiklund wrote:

> Hi Israel,
>
> Great progress, yes :-)
>
> *Panels*
>
> I have never seen anybody use more than 4 panels. Actually not more than
> 3 panels (unless gadgets in the corners are actually panels).
I agree... but I'd eventually like to support anything the user wants to
do.  I only use 2 panels at most usually...  Windows users only use 1
panel, OSX is 2 panels (or a panel and a dock like docky), chromeOS is 1
panel, and I suppose phones use 2 panels, or a panel and a desktop.
so 4 should be plenty for the first ToriOS release
> *nm-applet*
>
> I suggest that you include nm-applet (comes with the package
> network-manager-gnome) but not autostart it because it uses RAM, and it
> is probably not necessary in desktop computers (where many people have
> wired network connections). There might be a quick-start for it though.
> ---
> paipr nm-applet
> nm-applet  is installed as a program in system PATH
> package: /path/name
> network-manager-gnome: /usr/bin/nm-applet
> ---
Ok, once I get everything building and installing correctly I will do this.
Maybe I could add in a zenity dialog for enabling it by running sdesk
and including an icon.
ethernet should work irregardless of what is running.
I'll update the themes... fortunately I have made this much easier on
myself by using .in files where I can change a variable in the
CMakeLists and have all files update automatically :)
> *Wallpapers*
>
> By the way, maybe you should supply a wide screen wallpaper too. ToriOS
> seems not able to
>
> 1. use jpg files (you can discard them)
> 2. stretch (distort) the wallpaper to fill the screen.
This is actually a bug in the current JWM version.  I already notified
Joe about it a month (or more) back.  I will press him about the issue
again, and see if it is fixed.  If it is, then I will update our version
of JWM to the current git version.  There are already some good
fixes/features implemented in that version.
> so along-side a 1600x1200 png, there might be a 1920x1080 png for
> example the attached one. But if you must save space, you can also make
> much simpler wallpapers, maybe only one-coloured (grey) with the red
> ToriOS character near the middle.
>
> *New uploaded tarball and help files*
>
> Knowing what I know now, I made a much better (and lighter) tarball with
> ToriOS
>
> precise-torios.tar.xz
>
> to be started with
>
> user:     guru
> password: changeme
>
> startx
>
> You find it at
>
> http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/torios/2015-01/
>
> There are also two more files there (plus a md5sums file)
>
> torios_bash_history.txt
>
> showing how I made it (relying heavily on the excellent work by Israel), and
>
> default_1920x1080.png
>
> which is my suggested wallpaper for wide screens.
>
> Best regards
> Nio
There is another wallpaper included in the install... it is something I
made in inkscape... it is based on the ubuntu wallpaper guidelines (the
size)
you can just choose to use it by changing the background to human-bg.
But the scaling issue makes it look wrong on most things still.

I think we can include a fair amount of wallpapers as long as we keep
them as jpg files, since jpg are much smaller than png.  I can also
remove the png version of 'default' so there is room for 3 or 4 more
backgrounds.

Maybe once we are getting ready for release we can send out the call for
wallpapers on social media.  no matter what format they send in we can
convert whatever.ext to whatever.jpg

-Israel
ToriOS Team