Re: jwm-settings-manager

Den 2015-01-01 18:52, Israel skrev:
> Hi everyone,
> I *BOLDED* the summary lines if you are busy
>
> A quick update about the settings manager.
> I have been running a version of ToriOS (well... Lubuntu + ToriOS) on a PPC.
> I rebuilt the jwm-settings-manager package with my current one, and
> found some crazy issues :)
> So, I am updating things to be more sane :P
> There are some changes I will eventually have to make..
> One of those is, if the jwm -p command fails (this is the JWM command to
> make sure you edited the config file without any errors) show an error
> dialog and say "Hey, you can't do that!!!"
> or something.
>
> But...
> what I have done is to *make adding left and right panels smarter...*
> now it decides that if the panel is "left" then it obviously is
> vertical, not horizontal.
>
> *So basically the user will be restricted (in the first stable release)
> to only have 4 panels.*  This will eventually change when things get
> tested more and fixed up.  But in order to eliminate errors and get a
> full proper testing I want to limit the amount of possible errors to
> address.
> If we get complaints for users "I want 5 panels!!!" we can let them know
> eventually we will implement an unlimited amount of panels... but we
> need to keep error variables to a minimum.
> We will not limit our users... but until we can keep their window
> manager from having strange unusable configurations we will limit them
> to a working setup.  I hope this makes sense.
>
> Anyhow, there are still issues... but testing helps.
>
> *I also moved the App shortcut finder to look in /usr/share/applications*
> To me this makes more sense as it is how everyone else does it.
> I will eventually try to make something more visual than a list with
> .desktop on the end...
> But for now it works, the change to a simple list of things should be
> fairly easy... and I can add a 'custom shortcut' option... but right now
> you can really just type anything in the shortcut and run it... and set
> your own icon, etc...  we can also convert this to something similar to
> the lxshortcut program... that would be incredibly simple to make.  It
> might be fun to try to learn how to write it in C rather than C++
> I still need to figure out how to use SVG in fltk... not sure if I can
> yet...
>
> I will push the changes when I am sure they work fully
>
> --
> Regards
>
> -Israel
> ToriOS Team

Hi Israel,

Great progress, yes :-)

*Panels*

I have never seen anybody use more than 4 panels. Actually not more than
3 panels (unless gadgets in the corners are actually panels).

*nm-applet*

I suggest that you include nm-applet (comes with the package
network-manager-gnome) but not autostart it because it uses RAM, and it
is probably not necessary in desktop computers (where many people have
wired network connections). There might be a quick-start for it though.
---
paipr nm-applet
nm-applet  is installed as a program in system PATH
package: /path/name
network-manager-gnome: /usr/bin/nm-applet
---

*Wallpapers*

By the way, maybe you should supply a wide screen wallpaper too. ToriOS
seems not able to

1. use jpg files (you can discard them)
2. stretch (distort) the wallpaper to fill the screen.

so along-side a 1600x1200 png, there might be a 1920x1080 png for
example the attached one. But if you must save space, you can also make
much simpler wallpapers, maybe only one-coloured (grey) with the red
ToriOS character near the middle.

*New uploaded tarball and help files*

Knowing what I know now, I made a much better (and lighter) tarball with
ToriOS

precise-torios.tar.xz

to be started with

user:     guru
password: changeme

startx

You find it at

http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/torios/2015-01/

There are also two more files there (plus a md5sums file)

torios_bash_history.txt

showing how I made it (relying heavily on the excellent work by Israel), and

default_1920x1080.png

which is my suggested wallpaper for wide screens.