Re: OBI

Den 2015-02-26 23:50, Israel skrev:
> On 02/26/2015 09:46 AM, Nio Wiklund wrote:
>> Den 2015-02-26 15:18, Israel skrev:
>>> Hi,
>>> a new version of OBI has been released!
>>> See our post here:
>>> http://torios.net/one-button-installer/
>>>
> Hi Nio,
>> Hi Israel,
>>
>> If you feel that this version of the OBI is ready for it, I suggest that
>> you add information how to get the OBI, what commands to run (to get the
>> PPA and to install the OBI).
>>
>> The alternative is to link to the iso file (in that case wait for the
>> next version, because the current version has several bugs).
>>
>> Best regards
>> Nio
>>
> I did add the links in the posting.  Unfortunately the theme we are
> using has a bug that does not display links properly.  They appear the
> same as the rest of the text.  This is a MAJOR bug in the website.  I
> think Ali has some sort of plan to address this, though.
> There are actually quite a few nice links in the article to point to
> wikipedia articles explaining what a PPA is, what a tarball is, what
> Ubiquity is, and a link to Debian's website as well.
> I wanted to provide enough information for a casual user to become
> familiar with those acronyms and terminology.
>
> I did include a link to the OBI page on launchpad... it is the first
> mention of OBI (the One Button Installer)

Hi Israel,

I see, but maybe I'm not the only one who did not try to click the black
text. There is a work-around: as part of the link text you can add <this
link>, for example

'OBI (the One Button Installer) <this link>' and have all of it clickable

Or to make the text red or blue with the standard method to set the
colour (as used in the top of the page 'ToriOS Your Computer is Free as
Bird'

Also I think that it is not easy to find the relevant information how to
install the OBI from those links

Something like this might help:

# ----- preparing for ToriOS

sudo apt-get install \
software-properties-common python-software-properties

PPAPPS=(numix-gtk-theme numix-icon-theme numix-icon-theme-circle \
torios-core torios-desktop torios-doc numix-gtk-theme numix-icon-theme \
numix-icon-theme-circle mkusb jwm-settings-manager jwm)
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:mkusb/ppa &&
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:numix &&
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:torios-dev/torios-core &&
sudo apt-get update &&
sudo apt-get install --yes ${PPAPPS[@]}

I'm not sure what should be added or removed from that list of commands,
and I think it can be simpler

This is needed for mkusb

# ----- preparing for mkusb

sudo apt-get install \
software-properties-common python-software-properties

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mkusb/ppa  # and press Enter
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mkusb

What is needed for a separately installed OBI?

# ----- preparing for obi-installer

sudo apt-get install \
software-properties-common python-software-properties

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:???  # and press Enter
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install obi-installer

I think such a group of command lines makes it much easier to install
the OBI compared to browsing to several links, but not really knowing
what to use. Even I, who installed obi-installer from one of your PPAs
some month ago, have forgotten which is the PPA to be used, and I cannot
find it (I have searched for it for an hour).