Compressed image file with ToriOS, forked from: custom tarballs

Hi all toriosadores,

[See at the end of this mail]

Den 2015-05-27 01:12, Nio Wiklund skrev:
> Den 2015-05-26 23:34, Nio Wiklund skrev:
>> Hi again Israel and Jack,
>> I made an OEM system (user oem, computer name oem) which seems to create
>> problems for the OBI-installer while my own version of the OBI for
>> precise works with it. (Also the standard OBI in Lubuntu Trusty works
>> with such systems.) This system has the two 3.2 kernels with and without
>> PAE and I will add fake-pae before uploading the tarball to Phill's
>> server. I will install geany and evince too, but nothing big.
>>
>> - It works to use the OEM mechanism and nm-applet works.
>>
>> - The shutdown menu works correctly when I select the JWM session, but
>> not in the ToriOS session. There is also a plain grey Openbox session,
>> that works as it should. Openbox is necessary for the OEM mechanism to work.
>>
>> See the attached file.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Nio
>
> Hi again Israel and all testers,
>

> Since before there is this text based version 2.9 or the OBI
>
> http://phillw.net/isos/one-button-installer/dd_images/dd_precise-obi_4GB_29_text.img.xz
>
> that I have been using as a reliable and light-weight tool to make and
> use ToriOS tarballs. Use mkusb to install it to a USB pendrive.
>

> A few minutes ago I uploaded the following tarball
>
> http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/OBI/precise/tarballs/ToriOS-pae-OEM_prec_use-by-OBI-in-precise.tar.xz
>
> which is the 'ToriOS-pae-OEM' tarball I tested in the previous mail.
>

> Best regards
> Nio

This same system, that is stored as a tarball is also stored as a
compressed image file at Phill's server,

http://phillw.net/isos/linux-tools/compressed-images/dd_ToriOS-pae-OEM_precise_7.8GB.img.xz

The size is 513 Mibibytes, and it will expand to 7.8 MB (Megabytes) to
fit in slightly undersized 8 GB pendrives.

- Use mkusb [in linux, and use 7-zip & Win32DiskImager in Windows] to
install it to a fast USB pendrive or an internal drive. It will
overwrite the partition table.

- Use gparted to the swap partition and after that expand the root
partition, so that the system will fill a larger part of the target
drive (often the whole target drive).

-o-

But if you want to leave an existing system on the target drive, for
example that you want to dual boot with Windows, please use the tarball
and the OBI method instead.