Settings problems? RE: fixed Keyboard issue

Hi israel,
I installed latest .iso in VB (as usual).
I wanted to change the format of the clock in the panel.
I tried to change it via right click etc, changed the format, saved ok, refreshed desktop.
After that I could not change it again; also no settings changing for the panel worked (nothing appeared when clicking on any settings to change them).
I rebooted...but no change...then I tried editing my .jwmrc file and found it had root:root ownership...is that normal?
Anyway, I edited the clock format in the .jwmrc file and the change was reflected in the clock in the panel but I still could not click on and change any other settings.
There were other files in /home/jack/* that had root:root...is that normal or are we getting root:root set where it should not be as a result of some (menu?) updating process recently introduced?
Sorry if this is a bit garbled, but I felt I should document what I saw in the latest.
Cheers,JackT.