Fwd: Using Xubuntu's website as a base

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ali/amjjawad <amjjawad@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, Jan 3, 2016 at 11:01 AM
Subject: Using Xubuntu's website as a base
To: ubuntu-gnome <ubuntu-gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi,

I just had a chat with knome, the leader of Xubuntu project. Here is what
we had chatted about:

amjjawad> is it possible to use something similar? to your theme? or that's
not possible?
* GridCube_ (~GridCube@unaffiliated/soupermanito) has joined #xubuntu-devel
* GridCube has quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
<knome> of course it's possible to use something similar
<amjjawad> hmm, but how? :(
<knome> ok, few things
<knome> 1) our theme is in a repository here:
https://launchpad.net/xubuntu-website/theme
<knome> feel free to look at it and build your theme around it
<knome> however,
<knome> 2) the theme does not have a license yet, so without further
notice, it's copyright are with me

*<knome> that said, i'm fine with you using this theme to build off your
theme, as long as you make it substantially different so the ubuntu gnome
website doesn't look like the xubuntu website to avoid confusion<knome>
once i've seen your modifications, i will either approve them if they make
the sites different enough (and aren't a disservice for the theme) or
disapprove them (until the theme is modified to a point where i can approve
it)*
<amjjawad> 100% fine by me. What if I want to use 'similar' theme for my
own websites? with applying the same steps above of course. Is that still
possible?
<knome> i would have to think twice about that, but at least the above
would apply.
<knome> i think it's beneficial for xubuntu (etc) to have a distinct
website theme from others
<knome> so i'm not sure if i'd generally like the idea of people using a
similar theme for their personal websites
<amjjawad> Don't get me wrong, I'd surely do something different. Just the
general layout or concept might be a bit similar.
<amjjawad> Okay, forget about the personal websites then ;)
<knome> if you look around, you can see that ubuntu.com is really similar -
because the xubuntu website is inspired by that
<amjjawad> let's stick to Ubuntu GNOME to reduce confusion.
<amjjawad> To be, Xubuntu's website is much easier than Ubuntu's website.
<amjjawad> to me*
<knome> the differences i'm thinking about should be about the same level
as with xubuntu/ubuntu
*<knome> for example, just changing some colors and the header image
wouldn't do it, i'm afraid*
<amjjawad> I know, that won't be different for sure.
<amjjawad> Don't worry, since I'm not a coder, I won't be involved so
chances to have similar website are low. However, I'll share this with my
team so whoever will do the coding, if and only if he/she likes to modify
the code, the rules above should apply.
<amjjawad> It's just like graping Ubuntu's Kernel and come up with
something else. Same what we did with my other project, ToriOS
<knome> as long as it's approved by me, i'm fine with whoever works with
the changes.
<amjjawad> https://launchpad.net/~torios
<amjjawad> I'll make sure to highlight that when I share this chat with the
team.

-------------------

It is no secret that I'm in love with Xubuntu's website design:
http://xubuntu.org/

I've mentioned that many times before, IIRC.

So, for whoever wishes to work on Ubuntu GNOME's website new design, hope
this helps :)

Please note the bold red colour lines :)

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Ali/amjjawad <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad>

*http://kibo.computer <http://kibo.computer>* - http://torios.net - Ubuntu