Re: ToriOS Partitioning in a VM

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 7:44 AM, uaneme <manostienen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear ToriOS Team,

Hi there and thanks for your email :-)

> I wanted to file a bug report but can't find the button in launchpad.
> I'm a regular User without dev skills and i don't use launchpad that
> often.

I think you need first to create a Launchpad account.

> I'm trying to install ToriOS in a VM (using KVM + VMM)
>
> I try to follow the instruction in the help file. Using Gparted to
> create a /root and a /swap and label them as mentioned in the help file.
> Though i'm not sure if it is me or gparted, when i try to go to the next
> step the OBI tool does not want to install ToriOS.

Why not let ToriOS install itself without doing the manual installation?
Nio did an amazing job with OBI to make it do everything by its own. As
long as you're using a Virtual Machine, it's 100% safe IMHO to let the
system install itself.

> Since ToriOS seems to be the only Ubuntu-ish distro that supports 32bit
> hardware, i'm trying to get more familiar with it to find out if this OS
> can take some old hardware to into 2020.  It would be great if i can
> build a tiny remix image with ToriOS.

ToriOS initially was based on Ubuntu but then we decided to move to Debian
so ToriOS 1.0 is based on Debain.

> It might be an idea to communicate it a bit stronger that this OS will
> carry 32bit the extra mile. As it is not easy to find what other
> distro's are doing the same. When i search for Ubuntu based OS 32bit all
> the 32 buntu's and  Ubuntu based distros swamp the search results.  And
> from the looks of it they ALL dropped the 32bit kernel.

I know how it feels and I know what you mean.
I've been there some years ago:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1590614

> I hope distrowatch will have a solution to filter out OS'es that did NOT
> drop 32bit support.

That's good idea. Maybe we need to send this suggestion to Distrowatch.com
:-)

> Thank you.

Sorry for the late reply!

You may want to subscribe to our mailing list.

> Kind regards,
>
> M.
> --
> This message was sent from Launchpad by
> uaneme (https://launchpad.net/~manostienen)
> using the "Contact this team's admins" link on the ToriOS team page
> (https://launchpad.net/~torios).
> For more information see
> https://help.launchpad.net/YourAccount/ContactingPeople

Best Regards,