From: Rex Bouwense <majb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2019, 3:00 am
Subject: Light Distros
To: Ali Jawad <amjjawad@xxxxxxxxxx>

My friend, it has been way too long since I have communicated with you.
I do miss your posts and talking to you but that is a topic for another
time.  In August of 2015 I assisted in creating or should I say
resurrecting a Linux User Group in Cochise County, Arizona.  We
currently have 36 members and conduct monthly meetings and quarterly
Installation Festivals.  Because I had a strong background with Lubuntu,
we had used that distribution for our "go to" distro when an individual
would bring in an older or "under-powered" computer for us to install a
Linux OS on.  As you may be aware, the Lubuntu Team has decided to
modernize their distribution with the move away from LXDE and to LXQT.
I have downloaded and used Lubuntu 18.10 and it simply will not work
because it requires much more RAM for the user to get a good
experience.  Since last October my group has been searching the "light"
Linux operating systems to find a replacement for our "go to" distro
because Lubuntu 18.04, the last version that used LXDE, will reach EOL
in April 2021.  We have found that many of the people that come to us
still have older machines and we do not want to abandon them.  Every
month one member has given a presentation on the OS that he has been
assigned to research, use, and critique.  I have subsequently remembered
that you and your team were developing a new light OS, ToriOS and that
1.5 had been released.  Is it still actively being developed and are you
still the man to talk to?  What we are looking for is an OS that will
work with older under-powered machines and is relatively easy to learn
for a Linux novice.  I am wondering if ToriOS just might be that
distribution.
Rex Bouwense

Follow ups