Re: Blog post

On 19/05/2019 17:58, ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hope you're open to some feedback. Liked the ending with info on
> Discussions and Feedback. Might be a good idea to mention the mailing
> lists again at this point or if there's another place to give
> community feedback mention those links there. You talked about a need
> for both web based and pdf based documentation. Personally, I do a lot
> of my documentation using straight HTML and CSS and then use tools
> like wkhtmltopdf to convert that to PDF format if needed. If you have
> web based documentation, you can use tools to create a PDF version and
> maintain just one master set of documentation. If you need some
> information on how to use wkhtmltopdf, I wrote up some material on
> that at: http://www.distasis.com/cpp/books.htm I'm just wondering if
> you should soften the language about being 'brave enough to build
> their own system'. This sounds more like LFS and I think ToriOS
> doesn't require that level of knowledge (such as building executables
> from source code). Maybe you can rephrase it or say something like
> customize your own system instead of build it. I think the average
> ToriOS user will just be using apt or synaptic to pick the packages
> they want anyway. Might be worth mentioning that people could also
> help test in Virtualbox or Qemu. They could get screenshots that way
> too. If there's a Docker image of ToriOS somewhere, that's another
> option. Might also be nice if we can get some documentation together
> on what type of development help is needed. I know of several
> lightweight applications (some of which aren't available from the
> Debian archives). I build them from source. Still don't have a good
> method to share the results with anyone else. I even have a couple of
> deb files I created with alien for the Tuxmath mailing list. The
> builds include several bug fixes. No one on the Tuxmath development
> list ever bothered to test if the deb files will even work and the
> patches were never officially integrated since no one's really
> maintaining Tuxmath at this point. (Some files in the deb install
> might need a change of ownership or permission settings changes.) I
> have information on where to download them here:
> http://www.distasis.com/cpp/lmports.htm The version of Tuxmath in the
> deb files uses SDL 2.0, but I can also build with SDL 1.x which would
> probably be even more stable. Some of the packages in the Debian
> archives are hopelessly out-of-date. I always build TiMidity++ from
> source because the Debian archive uses an old version that's missing a
> lot of useful features including better Karaoke midi support. Would be
> nice to find some good methods of sharing programs ToriOS users build
> from source that aren't easily available elsewhere. If ToriOS offers
> software you can't get from other places, it would be one more reason
> why ToriOS is special and unlike any other Linux distribution already
> out there. Best wishes. Laura
Hi Laura
Good points here. thank you.  I have made a few changes and added some
links to the bottom.

I did suggest testing in virtual box,  so we need to expand on that in a
new post perhaps.

http://zleap.net/torios-how-to-get-involved/

We can add more to this or create subsequent posts with more information
on specific topics.

This is part of the introductory text from torios.top, so if needs
changing there, I just quoted for consistency. but I agree, it does
sound a little technical for beginners

This has confused me a little, sorry

I have installed virtual machine manager, then when I tried to install
ToriOS into a virtual machine it failed not sure where it failed, or if
there is an ISO issue.  which is why we need more testers.

Paul
-- Paul Sutton http://www.zleap.net https://www.linkedin.com/in/zleap/
gnupg : 7D6D B682 F351 8D08 1893 1E16 F086 5537 D066 302D