Re: Time Investment

Hi everyone,

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 10:26 PM <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, July 2, 2020 2:07 pm, Israel Dahl wrote:
> > @Laura thanks for wanting to help!  I think our goals overlap well, and
> > could do with more hands on deck.  My main goal for ToriOS is to make
> > things easy to use, and look fairly nice on as old of hardware as
> > possible.
>
> I'm still working on/trying to find lightweight alternatives that will
> work better on older systems than a lot of the typical programs offered.
> I really like how ToriOS makes good use of the FLTK GUI.  Will be trying
> to put together patches on some of the FLTK programs I use and upload them
> soon.  There are only about 3 or 4 other distributions I know about that
> specifically try to make use of FLTK programs (including NanoLinux,
> TinyCore Linux, 4Mlinux).

I'm sure there is no other distribution that could actually beat ToriOS.
Keep in mind that ToriOS is using a modern base to help old machines to
work.
I've tried tons of distributions. So many. One of the reasons why I decided
to start ToriOS project is because these distributions which I have tried,
didn't give me what I was looking for.

> I'm also looking into SDL based applications and trying to determine
> whether it's better to use the latest version of SDL (which takes more
> resources) or try to continue to work with SDL 1.2.15.  I'm trying to
> backport some helper libraries to 1.2.15 now, but I'm also looking at
> adding SDL 2.x support to some SDL 1.2.15 applications.  Would be
> interested in hearing opinions from others on which SDL version they
> prefer.

This is beyond my knowledge so no comment.

> > I really want to join forces with all the small distros to form a common
> > base, or some way to share all our niche programs.  I think this would be
> > the most helpful!
>
> I think the main distribution that actively tries to reach users with
> older machines is Puppy Linux.  They have several custom programs as well.
>  They also have several tools to build distributions automatically
> including one that uses Debian as a base.  However, there would be some
> differences with how ToriOS does things such as the package manager and
> making more use of the root user.  One of my favorite distributions that's
> based on Debian is AntiX.  Don't know if we can share any resources with
> them, but AntiX works very well on older hardware.  It has some nice
> custom software that works well on low resource machines too.  Plus, it's
> systemd free for those who don't like systemd being so inclusive and
> trying to do several jobs instead of one job well.

The philosophy of ToriOS is to KISS. Keep EVERYTHING as simple, as easy, as
short as possible.

> Would be interested to
> see some statistics on whether systemd or its alternatives work better on
> older computers, but my guess is that it's going to depend on the
> hardware.  One other advantage is that it has several tools for doing
> respins in ISO or flash drive format.  The other small Linux distributions
> I've looked at are working with the musl C library instead of glibc.  I
> recently heard from the developer of Cucumber Linux.  He's stopped that
> project and is now working on fidelix but it's oriented to server use and
> uses pkgsrc (which he said is working out very well).  If we switched to
> musl, the system would be more lightweight and would allow for static
> compilation.  However, you'd lose compatibility with Debian unless you
> could pull off something similar to what Bedrock Linux does.  Some of the
> lightweight programs that the musl based distributions use might be
> helpful though.  Also, Debian does allow for installation of the musl
> compiler along with the standard gcc/glibc compiler.  Might be interesting
> to see if packages or programs compiled with the different C libraries
> could coexist in some easier way.  There are also options like TinyCore
> Linux.  However, I wonder how well that works for older computers since
> it's geared to using as much RAM as possible.

Too complicated, I'm afraid. This will set us back to where we started. We
want to go in different directions. I'll share my ideas soon!

> I think ToriOS and AntiX are the main distributions I know when it comes
> to targeting older systems and remaining Debian based.  Also, many
> distributions are moving away from 32 bit support and offering only 64 bit
> support.

ToriOS is better than AntiX ;-)

> Might be worth looking into how likely it is that Debian will go
> this route as well and what to do in case that happens.  I've noticed
> several forums mentioning issues with getting a modern browser that works
> in 32 bit as well.

No doubts!

> That could be a serious issue at some point and
> already is with some other distributions.

Indeed.