Re: First Thing First

On Tue, July 28, 2020 2:08 am, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
> If you like IRC, Slack is the much better version of IRC. Even better, it
>  has tons of super great features.
>
> If Slack is not a good idea, could you come up with a better alternative?
>

> While I'm not against what Richard Stallman usually promotes, the full
> use of FLOSS, it's ALL about saving time. I've been crazily obsessed about
> time investment. That's why I've been away from ToriOS all these years.
> You'll
> understand more, hopefully soon.

I am not a big fan of Slack not just because it's not Free but because I
find it slow on my computer systems and not at all user friendly.  That's
my personal opinion.  I know others love the software.  I've used Slack
with other groups and would prefer to avoid it whenever possible.  Have no
issues with using Jitsi but I think it'll be harder and harder to find 32
bit browsers that support it in future.  I'm not seeing any speed issues
with cryptpad.  Slack responds much more slowly for me.  If you really
want to keep it simple as you've said, IRC and e-mail are simple compared
to Slack and Jitsi.  Just look at the code base sizes (at least when they
offer code which isn't the case for Slack) for comparison.

FSF lists these options:
https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/better-than-zoom-try-these-free-software-tools-for-staying-in-touch
LibrePlanet lists these:
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Remote_Communication
I also have a list that includes remote communications platforms:
https://lmemsm.dreamwidth.org/14124.html