Re: First Thing First

Hi and thank you for your reply.

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 8:33 PM <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, July 28, 2020 2:08 am, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
> > If you like IRC, Slack is the much better version of IRC. Even better, it
> >  has tons of super great features.
> >
> > If Slack is not a good idea, could you come up with a better alternative?
> >

> > While I'm not against what Richard Stallman usually promotes, the full
> > use of FLOSS, it's ALL about saving time. I've been crazily obsessed
> about
> > time investment. That's why I've been away from ToriOS all these years.
> > You'll
> > understand more, hopefully soon.
>
> I am not a big fan of Slack not just because it's not Free but because I
> find it slow on my computer systems and not at all user friendly.

It's impossible to find a platform that 'everyone' will agree on, to be
honest.
If you ask me, we need a practical solution. Personal preference won't help
much, IMHO.

> That's
> my personal opinion.  I know others love the software.

It's not about love or hate.
It's about what can do the job and what is not. Some software/platforms are
easier and above all, more practical.

I've used Slack
> with other groups and would prefer to avoid it whenever possible.

I respect your point of view.

>   Have no
> issues with using Jitsi but I think it'll be harder and harder to find 32
> bit browsers that support it in future.

Jitsi is for meetings, not daily communications. I mean, we do need to
write (always) and talk (voice/video) from time to time.

You can install it on your phone.

> I'm not seeing any speed issues
> with cryptpad.  Slack responds much more slowly for me.

That's odd. The website is so slow with me!

> If you really
> want to keep it simple as you've said, IRC and e-mail are simple compared
> to Slack and Jitsi.

This is 2020. I do need something more efficient.
I don't mind emails but everytime, for 7 years, we do discuss something,
there are always side topics. I'm suggesting Slack because there will be a
channel for every topic. That's why. No one will be confused when
everything will be at its right place.

> Just look at the code base sizes (at least when they
> offer code which isn't the case for Slack) for comparison.

That's from a technical perspective.
I'm a project manager, not a developer :-)