Community Address

It is with sadness I must address the entire list.  I know this is usually quiet, but there are two things I must announce and have spent a lot of time weighing it.

ToriOS will no longer be based on Debian/Ubuntu only.  We will look to a broader adoption of our programs for the time being, when the current generation are completed.

The long term goal of our small team is unchanged.  We just don't have many resources :D  We will support low end hardware, and as phones become the main computing device I would like to write code that runs on both.  Currently FLTK works on Android, so our programs could be modified to run in that environment as well, though that would not be my immediate goal.

As you may know GNU/Linux mobile is a reality.  We can help low end hardware be reused in that arena as well.  As always this means less pollution, less waste and most importantly poor people get better, more usable devices than they could otherwise.

I think a shift to software will help give us potential to attract anyone else who wants to help in that area.  It is hard doing everything by yourself, and takes a long time when you have a real life XD

This is the more upsetting second announcement.

I can in no way endorse the use of anything related to Purism at any point for anyone.  They have poorly handled their mistakes and further botched it through customer service failures, failures of the CEO, and even other "high up" people there.  I would rather not clutter your inbox with more of my story, so just know that I will never buy their products and will actively promote people choosing better products like the Pinephone.  It has a fully open, non-proprietary model of inclusion, which makes it much more inline with our libre software goals of including everyone. Purism has the opposite model, one that looks very much like Apple does with their BSD OS where users are customers and not people. By contrast Pine64 is even working towards RISC-V architecture as the future of open mobile computing!  Pinephones are not only real usable devices, but affordable for many people when compared to the speculative high priced Purism product.

This is the end of my unfortunate rant against a company that does not value their customer base.

--
😷