tortoisebzr-developers team mailing list archive

Re: GUI for 'resolve'?

Hi Mark.

The first two parts of your question really have no wrong answers.
Workflows for resolutions will vary, but anything which gives me an option
to go through each of the files (in any order) and do 3-way merges on each
would be great.  Actually, now that I think about it... the ability to go
back and change how I resolved a conflict in one file after resolving a
conflict in another file (known in technical parlance as "changing my mind"
<grin>) would be most appreciated.

The third part strikes a powerful chord for me.  If TBzr ever has an
auto-resolve capability, I want to be able to turn it off.  Thankfully
rarely, I have to deal with a situation where a gatekeeper thought  that
"the *right* way to resolve that conflict was obvious" [direct quote] and
that she didn't need to consult with developers.  The thing is, she's right
95% of the time.  But the other 5% of the time she incurs productivity
losses for an entire team, which can easily wipe out the "savings" in the
other 95% of cases she got right -- especially if I have to get involved to
calm people down.  So It comes down to simple economics for me.  I'm paying
people to work as a team, to produce the best possible product -- not to
show me how smart they are as individuals.  My point is that merge conflicts
are social challenges.  The key to success is collaboration, not one person
-- or one algorithm -- making unilateral judgments.  There's nothing wrong
with offering an auto-resolve.  I just want to be able to turn it off.
Thanks for indulging my rant.

cm