tortoisebzr-developers team mailing list archive

GUI for 'resolve'?

There was some discussion on IRC between lifeless and myself about how a
'resolve' GUI should work in TortoiseBzr/QBzr.  We both agreed it was worth
getting a broader view on this, and he asked me to also keep the discussion
on the main bzr list - hence the cross-post to 3 lists.  (Note that not all
UI discussions will be cross-posted to the bzr mailing list - if you have an
interest in the UI models for TortoiseBZR or QBzr, I urge you to join one of
the relevant mailing lists.)

The question is:

* If a file is shown as being in conflict, what 'resolve' related operations
should appear on its menu, and what UI, if any, should be shown when
selected?

* If a directory has one or more children in conflict, what 'resolve'
related operations should appear on its menu, and what UI, if any, should be
shown when selected?

* Should Tortoise attempt ever attempt to auto-resolve files without any
interaction from the user?  If so, in what cases should it perform that
check?  If not, how does auto-resolve fit into this model?

I've purposely kept the question open and refrained from offering any of my
own opinions.  What do you think a GUI user would expect to see in the case
of a file/directory with conflicts, specifically taking the 'auto-resolve'
capability of bzr into account?

Thanks,

Mark

Follow ups