tortoisebzr-developers team mailing list archive

Re: [qbzr] [RFC] new option in bazaar.conf to specify language for GUI?

Alexander Belchenko wrote:

> Hi developers of GUI front-ends for bzr,
>
> I'd like to post this RFC because we have related bug report[1] in QBzr,
> when user need to use another language settings for UI, different from
> system settings.

If I remember the bug correctly, the issue is that the user has set
their LANG to something for some programs, but then wants to *undo*
their LANG setting elsewhere.

I'm not entirely sure that it should be a bzr/qbzr issue.  That said, if
you have a user you want to make happy, you are certainly allowed to do
the work.

> So if other GUI devs agree on the new option in bazaar.conf, we need
> to choose the name for it. Possible variants:
>
> 1) language
> 2) lang

^- this would certainly hint to me that bzr itself should use this value
(in preference to the environment LANG value, and other such bits.)

Note that there are a lot of LANG type environment variables:

juju % locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

The most common is to set LC_ALL to override everything else. (Which is
why the OS doesn't set it by default.)

*I* don't know why they give so many options, just that they do.

Anyway, I would probably go with "lang", or "gui_lang". "lang" would
indicate to me that bzr itself should use it, while "gui_lang" would
only be for GUI's. I'm not sure there is a need for both.

Ultimately, as I said before, I don't think it is really bzr's place (or
qbzr's). But that doesn't mean you can't do it.

John
=:->