toshiba-tablet team mailing list archive

Working out of the box with wacom

How many are interested in setting their sights on
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/1124/ ?One of the big concerns with
Ubuntu working out of the box on toshiba tablets is autodetecting the
wacom. Currently, I have to take the following steps to set up the
Wacom digitizer:

1. Install package wacom-tools
2. Configure xorg to handle wacom
3. Restart X
4. run xsetwacom set button2 3 to change buttons around
5. Configure GIMP and friends to use XInput.

There's lots of holes here for new users to fall into, and it could
take some time to get familiar with it all.  Working out of box seems
like a great goal for the team, and any steps toward that seem like an
improvement. I thought I'd take a stab at making a list of things that
can be done to make this happen.

1. Packages installed by default will probably be the hardest to do
out of box.  We could provide a virtual package that pulls it in along
with other packages (Xournal, etc). Alternatively, there's a process
for getting new packages installed by default, but until the rest is
fixed I'm not sure it matters as much.  xserver-xorg-input-wacom is
installed by default, so maybe this isn't nessecary, just useful.
2. Xorg configuration is relatively simple; I've seen a few dexconf
scripts out there that fix it up, but dexconf is on its way out.  In
the future we can use xorg autodetect and HAL to enable settings on a
hardware identification basis.
3. Input hotplugging might help with needing to restart; and HAL will
certainly help.
4. HAL might also help with default pen configurations.
5. Autodetection or some different defaults might make it faster to
get running with GIMP, Xournal and friends.

All in all, it seems really close to working. How about an extra push
this cycle to finish the job?

Justin Dugger

Follow ups